Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Worhol, my long time false perception.
RE: Andy Worhol, my long time false perception.
(October 4, 2019 at 11:24 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Dean Koons like Warhol seems to embrace capitalism like Soviet artists embraced Lenin and painted workers and fields in social realism. In spite of everything that was happening in Soviet Union they just embraced the idealized version of it all.
It's not kind of a art/ painting in tradition of Jacques Louis David and The Death of Marat, Goya and The Third of May 1808, Picasso and Guernica... indeed none of the artists/ painters today in US deal with problems of the times and refuse to tackle with stuff like 9/11, Guantanamo Bay, border camps, wars in middle east , but rather look away, are not trying to make something that will make people think, shock but rather are just trying to make something that everyone will like.

Dean Koons likes to compare himself to Michelangelo like his statue of Michael Jackson with Pieta and maybe he's right considering what was happening in Italy at the times, with all the wars and crimes, Michelangelo and others made these fantasy paintings and statues.

That's why perhaps Banksy is more of an artist than Koons, Warhol and the likes of them.

Interesting point to equate Warhol's embrace of western idealism to Soviet artists embraced Lenin.

I can see that.

But it still gives me a lip twitch when either the left or right falsely call "capitalism" a form of government. But that is a separate issue than art.

Looking back at Warhol now, with a correct view of his intent. I can and aesthetically appreciate the artwork, but don't agree with the blind appeal to over consumption.

Mind you, you look at Communist artwork and the same can be said. I've seen videos of artwork in North Korean Museums that take talent to do, but the message still sucks regardless of ability.

I will allays value my species ability to create, and thus art should always be protected, as a western value. But art can be abused to manipulate too. Religious artwork in our species entire history, friend and foe alike, do not prove one god over another, or one ideology over another. Art only proves that our species can be and and is creative.

Messages In This Thread
Andy Worhol, my long time false perception. - by Brian37 - October 4, 2019 at 12:51 pm
RE: Andy Worhol, my long time false perception. - by Brian37 - October 5, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 264 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  The Long Walk onlinebiker 22 1549 October 14, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  You've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it'll change your perception of music forever Alex K 5 1254 April 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  How Long Has This Been Going On... BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1666 January 4, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Cato is dead. Long live Cato Cato 5 1047 May 25, 2016 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Favorite Long Song Eilonnwy 38 12081 September 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn