Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc.
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc.
(September 17, 2021 at 4:28 pm)Nomad Wrote:
(September 17, 2021 at 11:24 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I must be a horrible mother...when son was 29 he wasn't holding up his end of the bargain living here rent free.  The bargain was that he was to be taking classes and working toward a degree.  He was employed full time and had great benefits.  He also seemed to think I was his personal maid...nope.  He got in a mood one day and said some things he shouldn't have said and I gave him till the end of that year to move out.  He bought a house three months later on the other side of town.  His old bedroom is now my office/sewing room.  Boy, was buying a home and buying his own groceries a wakeup call.

I moved back home about ten years ago, deep in the recession, as I was doing a government funded post graduate and it would save me money, enough to be able to travel to do the post-grad.  While unemployed I paid €20 a week did half the cooking and about 75% of the manual labour.  After I got gainfully employed the rent went up to €50 (despite me wanting to pay more) and a slight reduction in big labour (less time).  I also took over fuelling, taxing and insuring my mother's car in the year between getting my full licence and being able to buy my own car.

Needless to say, all this was a huge bargain compared to renting.  I have since moved out because I had to move on promotion.

When my son went to work at Pepsi, about 14-15 years ago, it was really his first 'real' job. Husband had already worked there for years so I was familiar with the benefits and helped son set his up. I set up for contributions to a 401K as Pepsi matches up to a certain percentage and snuck in for his part to increase every year on his anniversary up to the maximum allowed. A few years down the road he asked husband why when he got a raise he never got any more money on his check. I had to come clean about the increase I had set on the 401K. He had been working for about nine years when he bought his house and was able to 'borrow' the money for the downpayment and other expenses from himself because he had a pretty sweet nest egg built up.

Since then the home values in our town have skyrocketed. Our house is worth twice what it was when we bought it 2006 and son's house has increased in value by about a third.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Messages In This Thread
Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by arewethereyet - September 17, 2021 at 10:58 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by brewer - September 17, 2021 at 11:06 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by GUBU - September 17, 2021 at 4:28 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by arewethereyet - September 21, 2021 at 12:25 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Angrboda - September 17, 2021 at 11:21 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Ahriman - September 17, 2021 at 11:23 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Angrboda - September 17, 2021 at 11:24 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Spongebob - September 17, 2021 at 11:32 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Rev. Rye - September 17, 2021 at 12:18 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Fireball - September 17, 2021 at 12:29 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Ranjr - September 17, 2021 at 12:47 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Astreja - September 17, 2021 at 1:46 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Jackalope - September 17, 2021 at 8:25 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Foxaèr - September 19, 2021 at 10:22 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Duty - September 20, 2021 at 11:50 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Duty - September 20, 2021 at 10:46 am
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Duty - September 21, 2021 at 12:10 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by brewer - September 27, 2021 at 9:20 pm
RE: Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. - by Ravenshire - September 28, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible for someone to have a plan and not have one at the same time? Der/die AtheistIn 9 1022 March 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  I'm still getting haunted by religious thoughts but purplepurpose 16 1309 January 12, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Getting space in relationships Der/die AtheistIn 17 838 September 16, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*