Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting space in relationships
Getting space in relationships
I just feel like I want to get some space from my family and relatives, but not to the point of cutting relationships entirely.
The reason for this (or one of the reasons) might be our differences. I love them, yet I sometimes feel like I don't belong.
Dad told me that he wants us to be a united family, but I want a little less contact with him and the others. 
Am I wrong for wanting less contact?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Getting space in relationships
I'd say you're pretty normal. If you can pay your way, take a break. If you can't, hang in there until you can.
It’s perfectly normal to want some space. The problem being that when we want space most (typically between 13-20) we can’t really get that space because of being dependent on the parentals.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I need a LOT of space in relationships - probably in large part because I'm Asperger. People are going vary in how much space they want/need but I would consider it a base need - something you are definitely not wrong to want.

Between this post and many of your prior posts, your dad sounds like someone I would need space from measured in hundreds of kilometers.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Read a sci-fi novel together.
Seems normal to me but I’m not exactly the poster boy for “normal” social and familial relationships.

Personally I’ve backed off from my family a good bit, the main reasons being that I enjoy what solitude I get and that I want to live my own life. They are constantly around each other (this applies less to my Mom, Dad, but more to the slew of step-siblings) going to all the kids ball games and every minor event.

That’s not my jam, I don’t expect that level of participation from them in my own kids lives. I’m the parent, let me raise my kiddos, being there for major events only is just fine with me. I don’t enjoy many social functions either, and the thought of having to constantly be around them (even though I really do care) is tiring. So I backed off a bit, to their irritation it seems but it’s my life not theirs.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Wanting space from parents at your age is normal.

Get a really good set of head phones or start getting stoned on a regular basis.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 13, 2018 at 7:14 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I just feel like I want to get some space from my family and relatives, but not to the point of cutting relationships entirely.
The reason for this (or one of the reasons) might be our differences. I love them, yet I sometimes feel like I don't belong.
Dad told me that he wants us to be a united family, but I want a little less contact with him and the others. 

God, no. I need room or I'll suffocate sometimes. I also need my family, so it swings in either direction from time to time.
(September 14, 2018 at 1:41 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 7:14 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I just feel like I want to get some space from my family and relatives, but not to the point of cutting relationships entirely.

God, no. I need room or I'll suffocate sometimes. I also need my family, so it swings in either direction from time to time.

Meh. Having a very ex wife, I find the solo life cathartic
(September 14, 2018 at 1:41 pm)Shell B Wrote:

I can relate too. The very best solution for me has been to be with someone who is as involved in their own projects and as in need of their own space as I am. That she frequently enough travels on business is a bonus since it gives me periodic alone space for days at a time which I find refreshing. Since I'm more of a homebody because of the dogs and garden, it helps that she needs to travel some.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age Gap Relationships FrustratedFool 32 1672 September 21, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. arewethereyet 39 2748 September 28, 2021 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [Serious] Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them. Porcupine 53 2547 July 18, 2020 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  I'm still getting haunted by religious thoughts but purplepurpose 16 1305 January 12, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: onlinebiker