Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justification Theory: Preliminary Questions
Justification Theory: Preliminary Questions
theVoid has asked me to respond to a "challenge" he posted back in November last year:

(November 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm)theVOID Wrote: Here I propose an Epistemology that I argue is entirely coherent and suffers none of the normal epistemic problems for Justification, such as the lottery problem, the new evil demon problem etc. I will argue that this epistemology is entirely consistent with reality and that no examples to the contrary can fault it.

I challenge the theists (or atheists) to either 1) refute my epistemology OR 2) come up with an epistemology that is coherent, consistent and demonstrates that your beliefs are justified.
He then went on to explain his view (which was a hybrid of reliabilism and evidentialism), though his signature now states that his view is "Epistemic Bayesian" - whether that means he has modified his view since his original post will hopefully become clear. In any case, I want to ask a few preliminary questions to understand the nature and purpose of the challenge.

First, why should a theist take this challenge seriously? What are the implications if a theist (or anyone) is not able to give a definition of justification that satisfies theVoid? If theVoid means to imply that if a theist cannot meet this challenge, then his theistic belief is either unjustified or irrational, then he is assuming a form of epistemic methodism. Methodism, broadly speaking, is the view that the question of what justification is should be asked before the question of which beliefs we hold are justified. On the other hand, particularism says the reverse, that our understanding of what justification is should be based on our answer to which beliefs we understand to be justified. If particularism is correct, then it seems that theVoid's challenge is rather vacuous.

Second, what are the criteria by which theVoid wishes to judge between competing justification theories? If we wish to apply the criterion of "consistency with reality" there is an inevitable circularity about the whole project - after all, the central question that makes the question of justification in any way interesting is "What are we justified to believe about reality?"

Third, there is an implicit assumption in the search for a universal theory of justification that we are talking about a normative standard that applies to all people and to all beliefs. The implication is that, if we are not justified in believing something, we are somehow failing to be intellectually responsible, dare I say intellectually virtuous (to use an old-fashioned term). If theVOID does not hold that justification is in some sense normative, then the theist is under no obligation to hold justified beliefs. And if he does, then the theist has to wonder how theVOID, as a metaphysical naturalist, accounts for such a strange thing as a normative standard on his worldview. For the theist it is simple: God, Who is Wisdom itself, is the standard, and He holds everyone accountable to reflecting His nature as the bearers of His image, and so the obligation to be responsible believers is part of our duty towards Him and our world.

EDIT: Few minor typos.

Messages In This Thread
Justification Theory: Preliminary Questions - by Nimzo - May 8, 2011 at 7:10 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6876 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4241 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Attention Schema Theory Won2blv 0 469 February 18, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  What is the best theory for what intelligence is? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 30 5647 December 7, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Chaos theory MagetheEntertainer 25 3898 July 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: FreeTony
  Hidden God theory ziyadalvi 12 4063 July 27, 2013 at 9:00 am
Last Post: ziyadalvi
  Mandelbrot Fractal and Watchmaker theory as proof for gods existence? Mystical 13 4641 April 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Justification for Foundational Belief Skepsis 83 35210 August 17, 2012 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Humesapprentice
  Theory of MI Sarcasm 0 1066 April 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Sarcasm
  Your theory of justification? theVOID 33 9242 March 11, 2011 at 6:03 am
Last Post: fr0d0