Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher
Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher
Emil Cioran (1911-1995)

Some quotes that sound interesting. The philosopher is Emil Cioran (1911-1995). Don't know if you've heard about him.
I have found the quotes on the Internet. I was curios about your opinions.
(I have gathered other interesting quotes, but were too many to write them all here)
------------------------------------------------

If we could see ourselves as others see us, we would vanish on the spot.

It is because we are all imposters that we endure each other.

It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.

Life is possible only by the deficiencies of our imagination and memory.

My mission is to kill time, and time's to kill me in its turn. How comfortable one is among murderers.

Negation is the mind's first freedom, yet a negative habit is fruitful only so long as we exert ourselves to overcome it, adapt it to our needs; once acquired it can imprison us.

No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one.

Nothing proves that we are more than nothing.

One hardly saves a world without ruling it.

Our works, whatever they may be, derive from our incapacity to kill or to kill ourselves.

Philosophy: Impersonal anxiety; refuge among anemic ideas.

Progress is the injustice each generation commits with regard to its predecessors.

Reason is a whore, surviving by simulation, versatility, and shamelessness.

Revenge is not always sweet, once it is consummated we feel inferior to our victim.

Since all life is futility, then the decision to exist must be the most irrational of all.

Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.

So long as man is protected by madness - he functions - and flourishes.

Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.

Speech and silence. We feel safer with a madman who talks than with one who cannot open his mouth.

Sperm is a bandit in its pure state.

The desire to die was my one and only concern; to it I have sacrificed everything, even death.

The fact that life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one.

The fear of being deceived is the vulgar version of the quest for Truth.

The mind is the result of the torments the flesh undergoes or inflicts upon itself.

The more we try to rest ourselves from our Egos, the deeper we sink into it.

Messages In This Thread
Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher - by Zenith - May 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Meaningful ideas and quotes *Deidre* 606 67679 June 3, 2023 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Famous Karl Marx Quotes vulcanlogician 7 563 October 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  What Kind of Philosopher are You?" Online Quiz chimp3 47 11115 June 6, 2017 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Philosopher under the bed. CapnAwesome 14 3054 August 3, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Your favorite quotes. Lemonvariable72 42 7594 July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  "Touching a Nerve: The Self as Brain" by philosopher Patricia Churchland Whateverist 12 5213 June 29, 2013 at 12:43 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  favorite philosopher? justin 16 5092 March 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: jstrodel
  A brief interlude of J Krishnamurti, and other great quotes liam 4 2502 September 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: jonb
  What philosopher do you most identify with? The Skeptic 28 11764 January 11, 2011 at 8:03 am
Last Post: muhtesem insan