Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Wiccan deconversion, but still Discordian at heart.
RE: A Wiccan deconversion, but still Discordian at heart.
When I was a younger, more naive person I consumed an astonishing amount of information about wicca. It was extremely interesting to me (and it totally got me laid, so, plus 5 billion on that count). Went from that to the Golden Dawn and The OTO. Pagan reconstructionism. There really is a lot to like about wicca (all of the above really) but in the end I learned too much about the origins of wicca, and the differences between paganism and wicca (from which many wiccans feel that they draw spiritual authority). Not to mention meeting a ton of verifiable nutjobs and cat ladies. I still have my witchvox account, I still have tons of books. I'll never let them go because I like the artwork. I like tarot decks as well, picked up an awesome deck in germany that I gave to my mother as a gift. I can set up the traditional cross reading, some novel ones, I can work out a natal horoscope, I was really into all of this stuff despite taking it with an immense grain of salt. I used to opine on how wonderful a resurgent paganism would be divorced from the supernatural. It seems like a shoe in for a relevant religion for our times. The focus on nature and balance and so forth. These are of course our own modern interpretations of what paganism was and it was disappointing to me to learn so much about it that I became disillusioned with it. You've abandoned the faith, but the principles are worth holding onto yes? The rede works even if the lord and lady are make-believe, in my opinion at least.
(I really do wish that I could recapture that initial sense of wonder and provisional acceptance)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Wiccan deconversion, but still Discordian at heart. - by The Grand Nudger - November 11, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1384 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4512 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5460 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4598 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1707 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1729 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 4019 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  Christian to wiccan to new age to atheist k2490 12 4844 October 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4773 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1169 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06