Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 2:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
(May 16, 2013 at 9:35 am)littleendian Wrote: This is just an assertion without evidence. I don't have a reason to assume that where soy grows other things like corn would not grow as well, plus soy itself is already perfectly suitable for human consumption.

Perhaps if you'd taken the time to look into agricultural practices I wouldn't have to explain this to you. Eh? Soy is not "perfectly suitable for human consumption" by simple virtue of it's being soy. Specific soy cultivars, combined with specific agricultural practices and post harvest procedure - yield soy that is "perfectly suitable for human consumption". The vast majority of soy grown does not satisfy either of these two requirements. The situation is identical in the case of corn. There is a range of environmental and economic "territory" where one could intercrop corn and soy (thanks in large part to hybridization and GM) and where this is applicable - it's done on a massive scale. However, being able to grow corn or soy in an area does not translate to being able to grow corn or soy for human consumption in that area - nor does it qualify the same area as a candidate for, say, mixed vegetable production. That none of this has any bearing on the relative status of our dietary decisions, at this point, bears repeating.

Quote:Our food production methods are a function of our food consumption behaviour, wouldn't you agree? But I admit you're right that eating significantly less meat would already put significantly less pressure on this system. The problem is that it is quite subjective and can't be quantified what "less" means, for some people that might mean having a "meatless monday", which would have close to no effect except on their conscience. With vegetarianism there's a clear line.
No, I wouldn't, because they aren't. Our food production methods - specific to grain and livestock - arose as a consequence of our trying to accomplish something else entirely. We endeavored to put grain on everyone's plate (because grain is one of the easiest crops to grow) and by and large we were successful - with impressive yield increases over the last 100 years. Now, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) as part of that project, a consequence of hybridization if you will, it just so happened that alot of the traits selected for (to increase yield) decreased the value of the crop as a source of available nutrition for human beings. This was further exacerbated by production methodologies, also to increase yields - but more recently to decrease costs- that had the same effect. What we ended up with was a glut of grain - with a large portion of it being unsuitable for human consumption. Now, it was difficult to conceive of growing something else in those areas - and largely because those areas aren't really suitable for much else - and it would seem like a waste, to be able to grow so much on so little......and we started to look for ways to use what had become and agricultural byproduct.

That's why there's corn syrup in everything, for example. You wouldn't wrap your mouth around the cob that syrup came from - and there would be little reason for you to do so, but processed into a sweetener it becomes ever more available to you. This is the same situation that we have in livestock production (not that the livestock are much more suitable to being fed this shit than human beings). We feed the glut of grain we have to the cattle, the cattle process that (horribly, but they process it) and then the beef becomes a product which is more available and more nutritious -to you- than the grain that it was fed.

If you look back at dietary trend data what you'll find is that we ate far less meat before it essentially became a byproduct of grain production (and before grain production became the single most dramatic success story in agriculture-since the dawn of agriculture). Our dietary habits are now - as they have always been- an issue of availability (the very hallmark of what it means to be an omnivore in the first place).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? - by The Grand Nudger - May 16, 2013 at 10:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3264 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2614 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4349 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10454 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 7285 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 15611 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 161168 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 2987 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37009 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Ethical Philosophy Selector leo-rcc 36 11243 December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch