Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Meliorism - The rise of neo-atheism and the fall of reason
RE: Meliorism - The rise of neo-atheism and the fall of reason
(April 12, 2013 at 10:32 am)frz Wrote: Well, we have witnessed that only through science has there been any progress, or change as you so put it in the history of man. What else or other means would we need to find then to achieve anything? And even science has its shortcomings, don't forget all the religious people of all faiths constantly fighting against it for centuries, although they'd be the first one in line to reap the benefits of its labor. When Dick Cheney needed a heart he had no issue running to the hospital and have someone else's heart scientifically implanted into him to keep him alive.

Science has made material changes, I have never said it hasn't.

What we should guard against is the notion that this is progress. The idea that science (or scientific method et al) can lead to progress requires a teleological thought structure.

However, if we are to use scientific method as our guide then we must question that teleological thought structure. The idea that we are progressing requires a final cause and no such final cause exists that can be reasonably supported by empirical evidence.

To blindly accept human progress as a result of scientific endeavour is to buy into the idea of some kind of metaphysical universal design or purpose. Which is unscientific.

Science is a neutral discipline, and that's exactly what it should be.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Meliorism - The rise of neo-atheism and the fall of reason - by ManMachine - April 12, 2013 at 11:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2816 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 849 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 781 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 43729 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Why do neo marxist professors always wear 50s glasses, isnt it racist? Demi92 14 2900 July 7, 2018 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Joods
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8768 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27387 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6308 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6799 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5474 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue