Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your reason for being an atheist?
What is your reason for being an atheist?
My reason is that if God was real, he would not put me through such great suffering
RE: What is your reason for being an atheist?
I am a skeptic, gods don't like us very much.

I have never really believed.

If there was a god, I don't think this forum would be here. Everyone would just know it and accept it.

But of course that is not the case. There are no spirits, no after life, no gods. Just a bunch of people who invented them and believe in them out of ignorance and fairy tale ideals.
Welcome Dimitrios !
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
My reason is that Jesus came to me in a vision and told me to be an atheist.

Welcome.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome aboard.  Maybe god hates you?  Probably doesn;t help...but it;s amusing in that...once a person finds themselves where you are, they really don;t give a shit whether or not god is real.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 26, 2018 at 8:49 am)dimitrios10 Wrote: My reason is that if God was real, he would not put me through such great suffering

My reason is god came to me, told me how sorry he was for being such a shitty god, and told me to forget about him because I would still be here even if he never existed.
I'M AN ATHEIST
This doesn't mean I'm bitter or unhappy.
It doesn't mean I think I know everything.
It doesn't mean I'm hateful.
It doesn't mean atheism is my religion.

I'm not an atheist because it's cool.
I'm not an atheist because I want to sin.
I'm not an atheist because I'm angry at god for something bad that happened to me.
I'm not an atheist because I follow Satan.
I'm not an atheist because other atheists brainwashed me.

I'm an atheist because, after carefully analyzing the issue
I see no evidence of the existence of any god and I see no good reason to believe any god exists.

Get over it.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
You mean, besides the fact that I hate God and want to sin?  Big Grin

I find no compelling evidence that an entity such as the theists describe is real. I've asked all kinds of believers for proof, and they usually do one of two things:

1) They say "look around" and gesture at whatever landscape surrounds us, not taking into account, I suppose, that I'd noticed the world around me before. Pretty unconvincing argument.

2) Or they point me to their holy book which contains stories about their deity and his dealings with mankind. But since I've read many stories about mythical beings and never assumed any of them to be real, I don't see why I should treat the characters in their little storybook any differently.

I've also read some philosophical proofs for God's existence and found none compelling. So I guess the reason I'm an atheist is because I'm unconvinced that God exists. 

Welcome to the forums, Dimitrios.

Welcome
If you're talking about the cartoon religious gods, they are blatantly just stories about human projections. There's nothing to take remotely seriously. Theists can't even agree on what a "God" is.

If you mean some generic creator, I don't believe there is one because I see no evidence that leads me to that conclusion. I see no evidence that leads me against it either; it's just impossible to tell either way. It makes no difference to me, since I must face this reality regardless.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm an atheist because I've never been able to suspend disbelief and develop actual religious faith. I can't see things like a resurrected rabbi, a bunch of animals on a handmade boat or a Talking Snake™ as anything but fiction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35331 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 754 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40517 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6800 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6613 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7796 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7022 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27638 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Being atheist in the Bible Belt MyelinSheath 37 8905 January 23, 2017 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6092 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777