Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My honest reason for disliking the idea of God
My honest reason for disliking the idea of God
I have this universal idea of pleasant life. And Gods idea is "suffocating" this greedy idea of mine. I see a lot of gems in religions like "Be compassionate and forgiving as much as you can". But those ideals are painful and they seem to me as useless or unprofitable for the most part.

So, basically, I dislike idea of God, because I wish to fully "dive" in to the comfortable and pleasant life.

Could others share their main reason for disliking the idea of Gods existence???
RE: My honest reason for disliking the idea of God
(November 24, 2016 at 5:34 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: I have this universal idea of pleasant life. And Gods idea is "suffocating" this greedy idea of mine. I see a lot of gems in religions like "Be compassionate and forgiving as much as you can". But those ideals are painful and they seem to me as useless or unprofitable for the most part.

So, basically, I dislike idea of God, because I wish to fully "dive" in to the comfortable and pleasant life.

Could others share their main reason for disliking the idea of Gods existence???

Good you are honest on why you don't want believe in God. Atheists/Agnostics who actually admit this are rare.

Quote:For the invisible things of him, from the creation of the world, are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made; his eternal power also, and divinity: so that they are inexcusable.Romans 1:20 

People claim to reject God’s existence because it is “not scientific” or “because there is no proof.” The true reason is that once they admit that there is a God, they also must realize that they are responsible to God and in need of forgiveness from Him (Romans 3:23, 6:23). If God exists, then we are accountable to Him for our actions. If God does not exist, then we can do whatever we want without having to worry about God judging us. That is why many of those who deny the existence of God cling strongly to the theory of naturalistic evolution—it gives them an alternative to believing in a Creator God. God exists and ultimately everyone knows that He exists. "The Creator is clearly seen," Paul explained to the Romans 1:20. Yet despite all their intelligence and scientific skills, the Gentiles refused to acknowledge the Creator. The problem was not their inability to see Him but their rebellious hearts, which "suppressed the truth in unrighteousness" Romans 1:18. The very fact that some attempt so aggressively to disprove His existence is in fact an argument for His existence. https://gotquestions.org/Does-God-exist.html(Allows quotation as long as linked)

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, they shall have their portion in the pool burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. Revelation 21:8 
I do not dislike the concept of god so much as the idea behind making a concept seem realistic under the guise of faith.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 24, 2016 at 5:34 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: I have this universal idea of pleasant life. And Gods idea is "suffocating" this greedy idea of mine. I see a lot of gems in religions like "Be compassionate and forgiving as much as you can". But those ideals are painful and they seem to me as useless or unprofitable for the most part.

"suffocating", sounds like you have a problem.

Be that as it may, your post is a personal opinion.  
religion is based on personal meaning, or need.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity

Out of all the parts you could pick to dislike about the bible, that's the one you picked, huh? Being a nice guy is too much work for you, and that's why you're not religious?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Why do you call yourself greedy? If you're saying you're selfish and care mainly about yourself, then that's something for you to decide and isn't relevant to God or religion. I suspect you're trying to imply that anyone who isn't part of a religion is selfish. This is blatantly absurd. Religion is often about following rules to win a prize and avoid being punished. Whether or not those rules are actually about being a good person is of secondary concern. I can figure out how to be a good person without the advice of a bunch of goat herders from 2000 years ago who were having hallucinations or making stuff up.

I don't even know what "God" is, so I can't hate the idea. I get something different from each theist. I find them mostly incoherent, just a load of waffle.

The Gods portrayed in the storybooks are vile and evil fictional characters. I hate the fact that people treat them as "good" and worship them. That's disgusting to me. But I don't hate the characters, because they're not real. I only hate them within the context of the story, like I'd hate any villain.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I do not hate all god-concepts.  I do, however, have an insurmountable problem with the god of Christianity.

First of all, the idea of Jesus-as-sacrifice-for-sins is morally ghastly.  The whole thing stinks of a rigged game run by a loan shark, causing humans to become so deeply indebted that it is impossible for them to put things right on their own.  Instead, in order to avoid eternal torture, we're expected to accept the sacrifice and let someone else suffer in our place for things that should not even be crimes.

Secondly, I cannot love or respect a deity that would allow a place of eternal torture to exist.  The hell myth is a deal-breaker.  If hell exists, I choose to spend eternity with whoever else is imprisoned there, rather than with the entity that is keeping them imprisoned. Furthermore, I can't trust such a god to keep its word on anything.

Finally, the Christian insistence on faith is a complete non-starter.  My brain simply cannot fool itself into belief, making religious faith unattainable.
I don't dislike the idea of God.

The way I see it is the concept of god is either too complex for me to understand therefore no point in thinking too much about it.

Or

The concept of god is a primitive idea that my mind has gone beyond thinking about due to being educated about the history of religion, primitive worship, superstition and so on.

I suppose I dislike the idea of god in the sense that god is connected to death, and anything to do with death depresses me.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

It's a delusion put forward by the powerful to control the masses.
I also don't like the God idea and do find it suffocating, but possibly for different reasons. I don't believe in a god because it doesn't make sense not because I don't like the idea, as there are many things I don't like but do believe in due to the available evidence. But if a God were to appear and provide irrefutable evidence of it's existence I would be saddened because it robs us of uncertainty, discovery, and individuality. The secrets of the natural world would just fall to God made it that way because it wanted to, so there would cease scientific and philosophical discussions about how the universe, matter, and life formed. Also gone would be the point in which we apply our own value or purpose to our lives. That would be established by the god that lays down the laws and enforces them. So rather than me choosing to live my own life I would be trying to make the grade and pass the test that is my life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 6499 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 754 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40515 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Purpose? No idea what it is. Cod 54 7294 November 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8625 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6697 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5278 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Reason Rally 2016 The Valkyrie 50 8573 June 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Idea purplepurpose 20 2461 May 22, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  The main reason I'm an atheist drfuzzy 363 52371 May 4, 2016 at 5:36 am
Last Post: Little Rik