Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurelius seals the deal?
RE: Aurelius seals the deal?
(September 21, 2009 at 5:21 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: You are equivocating "devout" with "good".

Devotion to just gods - or being good because the gods are good. What is being devout to just gods to you? How could it be anything different than what I am "equivocating".

EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:Devotion to Gods is what is meant up above, and why should that be the first thing on a God's list?

If you chose to believe in just gods, then how could being devout be anything other than being good in this case? Why wouldn't the just gods want you to be good first?

EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:Isn't it better to just be good, whether devoted to Gods or not?

How are you deciding that good is simply better? Doesn't being good require a person to sacrifice themselves or their means? Why would someone give up their own? Can anyone "just be good", without any ultimate reason? Isn't that irrational? It would be like a partial suicide, at the very least - and if they gave themselves up completely (without any ultimate reason) it would be like suicide, wouldn't it?

EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:And isn't it worse to be bad whether you're devoted to God or not?

Again, by what standard? Being bad is easy to justify (so long as you avoid getting in trouble) - it means taking real benefits (that you can see and feel) that aren't yours or that aren't anyones that you know of (but that may be against the gods' wishes). This is inline with individual survival/livelihood - which is ultimately all an individual atheist has, right? It means acting in favor of yourself. It means acting with the goal of "winning" benefits. What rules are there to prevent competition on every front (whether it be winning through thievery or through consensual deals)?

EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:How does 'devoted to God' necessarily=Good? Or at all better than undevoted to God?

Could being devoted to just gods be anything other than Good? If someone is un-devoted to just gods, then how can they be good (or as you say "better")?

ecolox Wrote:And if there are no gods, then you will be destroyed and all evidence of your "noble life" will be destroyed.

EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:Evidence that please.

It is your belief that you will be destroyed, along with anyone who may remember you - right? If these entities are not headed towards destruction (as I thought your belief necessitated), where are they going?

Quote:Is it the fact that God is said to discriminate between good and evil that incites atheists to deny God?

EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:No. Different atheists disbelieve for a number of different reasons. I myself don't believe because I know of no evidence.

I see. Our existence is evidence of something though, isn't it?
(September 21, 2009 at 5:22 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: For all have sinned and fallen short of the grace of God. It is by grace alone that Christians are saved not by any of there actions on this Earth. That was my interpretation when I was a believer.

Rhizo

First you say all have fallen short of the grace of God. Then you say some do not fall short of grace (since they are saved by grace).

How is a Christian 'chosen' for this grace if their lives (and choices on earth) have nothing to do with it? Is it random or what?

Messages In This Thread
Aurelius seals the deal? - by ecolox - September 21, 2009 at 4:51 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Edwardo Piet - September 21, 2009 at 5:21 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by ecolox - September 21, 2009 at 7:01 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Eilonnwy - September 21, 2009 at 7:18 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by ecolox - September 21, 2009 at 8:01 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Eilonnwy - September 22, 2009 at 1:40 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Edwardo Piet - September 22, 2009 at 1:34 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Rhizomorph13 - September 21, 2009 at 5:22 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Demonaura - September 21, 2009 at 8:56 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by ecolox - September 21, 2009 at 9:39 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Retorth - September 22, 2009 at 9:29 am
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Overmars - September 22, 2009 at 2:17 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Retorth - September 22, 2009 at 2:25 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Demonaura - September 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Retorth - September 22, 2009 at 3:07 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Rhizomorph13 - September 22, 2009 at 3:12 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Retorth - September 22, 2009 at 3:15 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Rhizomorph13 - September 22, 2009 at 3:28 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Retorth - September 22, 2009 at 3:31 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Violet - September 22, 2009 at 4:21 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Demonaura - September 22, 2009 at 4:40 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by fr0d0 - September 22, 2009 at 4:42 pm
RE: Aurelius seals the deal? - by Rhizomorph13 - September 22, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Deal With the Devil rexbeccarox 11 1614 April 13, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Why is Religion such a big deal? ScienceAf 14 3489 August 21, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Deal for Daystar. Edwardo Piet 18 8681 November 9, 2008 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet