Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Religion such a big deal?
Why is Religion such a big deal?
Why the fuck is REEEELLLIGGGGONNN such a big.fucking.deal.  

Lets just separate church and state...

Wait, that's already been done. 

Then.what the fuck`s the big deal?

RE: Why is Religion such a big deal?
Religion is a tool. Many people are in powerful positions mainly because of religious practices. Powerful people love the status quo, and they're not going to give up that power without a fight. So they keep preaching hellfire, and killing apostates, and such.

From what I've heard, religion at large is on its way out in more modern countries, so in a way it isn't such a big deal anymore.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 21, 2016 at 4:00 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Religion is a tool. Many people are in powerful positions mainly because of religious practices. Powerful people love the status quo, and they're not going to give up that power without a fight. So they keep preaching hellfire, and killing apostates, and such.

From what I've heard, religion at large is on its way out in more modern countries, so in a way it isn't such a big deal anymore.

But why do everyday people care?

(August 21, 2016 at 4:13 pm)ScienceAf Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 4:00 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Religion is a tool. Many people are in powerful positions mainly because of religious practices. Powerful people love the status quo, and they're not going to give up that power without a fight. So they keep preaching hellfire, and killing apostates, and such.

Because - to paraphrase Dr. B.F. Pierce - the three most powerful human emotions are greed, fear, and greed. Religion is unexcelled at monetizing fear.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Religion is a four letter word and is nothing more than a book club or benevolent organization.

However, man's search for answers and his place in the world often leads us to an answer of a religious nature.

If what any of the world-views or religion purport to be true, then they would warrant consideration and investigation.

If through your investigation, study, application of logic and reason and how the belief system melds with science and what we think we know, we can then act accordingly and make an informed decision about that religion.

What started the universe and space-time? What is the meaning and purpose of life? What happens when I die? These are some of the question science and religion attempt to answer.
-OP Q
It isn't, unless people make it one.  My daughter asked me, on the way to land between the lakes, why people "put all those plus signs in their yards". 

-Not even kidding.

(I told her it was for counting the cows)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 21, 2016 at 4:46 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -OP Q
It isn't, unless people make it one.  My daughter asked me, on the way to land between the lakes, why people "put all those plus signs in their yards". 

-Not even kidding.

(I told her it was for counting the cows)

So you lied to her?
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Better to count cows than worship an engine of death.

Because everyone around them wants them to. Including parents and other people in authority. A lot of this is just about kids being raised in the stuff to the point where they believe it's normal.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Psychological conditioning coupled with numerous social pressures: group mentality, peer pressure, lack of information, abundance of disinformation, the snowball effect of low info/easy gratification ideologies, personal predisposition towards religious mindset, cultural position, etc.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 961 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2442 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1401 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7890 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why does the Pope wear such funny clothing? GODZILLA 22 3263 June 27, 2018 at 2:24 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A Deal With the Devil rexbeccarox 11 1553 April 13, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10721 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So why do Christians here in the United States have such a persecution complex GoHalos1993 13 3684 November 2, 2015 at 10:26 am
Last Post: vorlon13