Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such like.
RE: Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such like.
That's the thing with opinions and free speech. That's what it is . Opinions and free speech. The fact that one "says" they think this person has such and such, is not a medical diagnosis. It's an opinion and with that comes the freedom to give that opinion. And it should be treated as such, no matter what sort of experience the person with the opinion says they have. What I find interesting is that EP will tell you himself, that he admits to having some of the things some of us think he has. So, if person A opines that he may have "x" and EP agrees with it, then really, no one should be getting upset about that. At the end of the day, everyone one of us here knows that no one here is technically diagnosing anyone with anything.  I think common sense dictates that a person would actually have to be physically seen by a licensed, practicing, medical professional. If we allow ourselves to get upset over opinions and free speech that stays within the rules, on a forum that has been very generous with what the members are allowed to say, then perhaps we need to scroll past those sort of posts because we allow them to affect us in a negative way.

People have been called worse on this board. I was called a fat cunt the other day. If I really wanted to blow a gasket over that, I could have. But I chose not to let the words of another member, get to me. It is what it is and I certainly don't see members of this forum standing up saying that people shouldn't be allowed to insult other people here, nor should they because like it or not, we are allowed (within rules and reason) to pretty much say whatever the heck we want here. Fat cunt is included. And if I really wanted to be a bitch about that, I could say he called me an overweight vagina, which, [i] technically[/]could be considered as a medical diagnosis. Doesn't that sound silly! Yes. it does.

To compare it another way:

It's no different than the line of work I'm going into. If I see someone has something that I have been trained to recognize, then depending on what that something is, I can either proceed with the service or I have to stop and I cannot continue. I also cannot tell them they have the "something". But what I am allowed to say is "It looks like you may have "x". I would recommend that you see a medical professional, as I cannot color your hair (or do other service) today.

So while we aren't "technically" allowed to diagnose someone with something we know they have, all we can do is suggest they see a medical professional because they may possibly have something wrong.

The tl:dr version:  
Really, all any of us here are doing is saying we think person A might have X, based on {reasons}. At the end of the day, it is NOT a diagnosis, but perhaps a suggestion that person A might want to go see a professional about the possibility of having X.  I would think that would be a good thing, considering person A can now go see a medical professional and say, I think I need some help because I may have X. So now they are getting the help they need. Furthermore, even if the person doesn't have X, it might be discovered they have Y instead. Either way, talking about it with strangers on a message board got a ball rolling that got the person help that they wouldn't have otherwise sought out. In reality, I see no harm in that.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such like. - by Joods - August 24, 2016 at 6:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i keep getting contradictory messages from staff rocinantexyz 12 2481 November 29, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Staff Foxaèr 28 4145 February 5, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What Does This Mean, Oh Staff? Minimalist 24 5640 July 15, 2017 at 1:35 am
Last Post: c172
  Staff Appreciation Thread Shell B 41 7904 December 4, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  blocking ex staff members Catholic_Lady 68 6588 November 17, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  [split] Peanut Gallery Commentary-and the drama over the nudity thread continues pocaracas 283 32491 July 11, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Unable to log in to my account Mermaid 42 6093 March 30, 2016 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Thumbs Up Kudos for such Great forums!! Orchids 24 6127 September 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Blueberry muffins and birthdays and other such things. Losty 13 4270 May 16, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Staff....Once The Strike Ends...Strange Error Message Minimalist 1 2036 April 5, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope