Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(September 17, 2015 at 10:53 pm)Rational AKD Wrote:
(September 17, 2015 at 10:11 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I confess I have not bothered to read the entire thread.  But has anyone pointed out the fact that statement 2 does not follow from the previous claims?  If I cannot prove that something is false, that does not mean that it is actually possible.
it has been brought up and I addressed it... but i'll go ahead and answer it again for you. basically what's behind premise 2 is our epistemic limitations. you can't use the contents of our conscious experience to explain what is behind them. so you can only use information not gathered from experience. but as there's no contradiction or inconsistency of a world that only has a mind, solipsism can't be proven false. this means for all we know and could possibly know, solipsism is possible. to put it another way, solipsism could be true given all epistemic knowledge. so given that, it would of course be unreasonable to presume solipsism is impossible. as for the agnostic position, it could only be maintained epistemic possibility doesn't establish actual possibility if we can't use epistemic knowledge to claim knowledge of what's actual... but this would be nihilism, the belief we cannot know what's actually true. but this position is also self refuting because it makes a claim of knowledge of what's actual by saying 'we cannot know what's actually true.' since nihilism is self refuting, it is not a reasonable belief. since being agnostic about the possibility of solipsism in light of our epistemic knowledge, that for all we know and could know it is possible, implies nihilism; being agnostic on about the possibility of solipsism is unreasonable.
in stark contrast, it seems reasonable to suggest epistemic knowledge is good evidence of what is actual. thus the only reasonable position you can maintain is that solipsism is possible. now, this still doesn't as you say mean solipsism is in fact possible. but then again premise 2 doesn't state that either. it states solipsism must be most reasonably granted possible. this again doesn't eliminate the impossibility of solipsism as a possibility, but rational people shouldn't be interested in just any possible answer. they should be interested in the most reasonable one.

Pyrrho Wrote:Furthermore, 3 is introducing more that does not follow from what was stated previously, because a mind might be a material thing.  Maybe your mind is all that exists, but your mind is a material object.  Thus, 3 would be false.
3 is actually the premise that disproves that. it's all about Leibniz Law of the Indiscernibility of Identicals. A and B are identical if and only if for everything that is true of A, B. if there is something that is true of A but not of B, then A and B are in fact not identical. so premise 3 states concerning mind, that it is possible for mind to exist in a solipsist (immaterial) world. this is shown true by the prior premises. it then states it is not possible for matter to exist in a solipsist (immaterial) world, which is true simply by definition. and from that we get to 4, that they are not the same and mind is not reducible to matter. so really you're objecting to 4, not 3. but I just explained why 4 follows from 3 and why 3 follows from 1 and 2.

That is the biggest load of crap I have read in a while.  You cannot know what I ate for breakfast this morning.  So, following your "reasoning," you cannot know I did not eat a brontosaurus for breakfast this morning.

It is idiocy to believe that you can know everything.  So it is idiocy to believe that you can know everything that is true.

I defy to you to tell us what I had for breakfast this morning.  Knowledge and what actually is the case are two very different things.  It is not "nihilism" to observe that you cannot know what I had for breakfast.  Your claim:  "this would be nihilism, the belief we cannot know what's actually true" is pure bullshit nonsense.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Pyrrho - September 17, 2015 at 11:41 pm
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1682 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3663 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1111 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7227 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 287 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12145 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 44190 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5177 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4582 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15211 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus