Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General question about the possibility of objective moral truth
RE: General question about the possibility of objective moral truth
(September 13, 2015 at 3:11 pm)Michael Wald Wrote:
(September 12, 2015 at 11:54 pm)Natachan Wrote: Before we talk about the question of making moral judgements of good or bad we need to first establish what morality is. The question takes it for granted that morality is understood by all, and I don't think that's right. So what is morality? It is a determination as to how things fit into certain value sets. Let's say I value human life. As such a moral action would be one that would promote that value of human life. If I don't value human life, then I have no reason not to kill people. As such I would not find it immoral to kill someone. You might disagree with me, and there we have a conflict.

Is either party OBJECTIVELY right? Well, in the sense of "does some external force give a damn" then the answer is no. Neither party has a more valid set of values in this particular situation. However we as humans have evolved as a cooperative social species. Those of us who don't value life don't generally live to tell about it. Those of us that don't value positive social structures generally don't survive to reproduce. As such you could say that we share a similar set of values that lead us to generally similar moral judgements.

I'm not so sure if we can say that people who don't value positive social structures don't survive. Actually my impression is that we have plenty of people of this kind in this world.
At the end my whole question comes up to find an argumentation not for those who keep social rules, but for those who don't. It's very frustrating if you have a real criminal in front of you and you try to explain him that (and why) his behavior is really wrong, while he just denies that there is an objective way to proof that. Of course we can still punish him. But I also want to show him that he himself knows that his behavior is wrong.

As a portion of the population the number is fairly small. Just as the number of people with genetic diseases is small. It is not advantageous, but it does happen.

At the very end you probably CAN'T provide an objective reason to the person who does not value life or positive social consequences.

Then gets to the rather nasty bit, we as a society IMPOSE some of our moral judgements. It is very hard to justify this objectively. Why does the majority get to impose their moral judgements on the minority? This is something I'm still working out on my own. There is some evidence to indicate that these people are sick, and as such it would indicate that their judgements and values might not be completely sound. But again, what is the objective justification? I don't think there is one. I'm not comfortable with that, but that might just be the way it is.

Messages In This Thread
RE: General question about the possibility of objective moral truth - by Natachan - September 13, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8318 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1938 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Open to explore possibility zwanzig 102 7455 February 20, 2021 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Perhaps none of us know the truth Transcended Dimensions 20 3796 March 10, 2018 at 8:01 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4696 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15723 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2472 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 162394 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5671 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  General statement to theists who read this. Brian37 24 3468 April 11, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Jeanne