Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps none of us know the truth
Perhaps none of us know the truth
There are certain things we do widely agree upon as human beings such as the idea that, if you drink poison, that would be lethal to you. There is no disagreement about that.  So, we know this is a fact. But then there are things that we just argue and debate about. One side thinks they know the truth and the other side thinks they know the truth. But perhaps none of them know the truth and they just think they do. An example would be debates between believers in the afterlife and people who think this is the one and only life we have. There is much claimed evidence for the afterlife, but, at the same time, skeptics would reject such claimed evidence and they would claim that they instead have all the evidence to support the idea that this is the one and only life we have.
RE: Perhaps none of us know the truth
The likelihood that there is an afterlife is so close to zero that I don't need to know.

And hilariously, the strongest argument for an afterlife and religion is actually The Simulation Argument. Which isn't exactly what theists are going for.
There is literally no evidence at all of an “afterlife”.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: There are certain things we do widely agree upon as human beings such as the idea that, if you drink poison, that would be lethal to you. There is no disagreement about that.  So, we know this is a fact. But then there are things that we just argue and debate about. One side thinks they know the truth and the other side thinks they know the truth. But perhaps none of them know the truth and they just think they do. An example would be debates between believers in the afterlife and people who think this is the one and only life we have. There is much claimed evidence for the afterlife, but, at the same time, skeptics would reject such evidence and they would claim that they instead have all the evidence to support the idea that this is the one and only life we have.

"Perhaps none of us but me know the truth." FOAD
I mean.... even if we continued to live after we "died". We wouldn't be living a second life, an "afterlife"... we would have never truly died and be just continuing life in another form.

Lmao.
(February 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: There are certain things we do widely agree upon as human beings such as the idea that, if you drink poison, that would be lethal to you. There is no disagreement about that.  So, we know this is a fact. But then there are things that we just argue and debate about. One side thinks they know the truth and the other side thinks they know the truth. But perhaps none of them know the truth and they just think they do. An example would be debates between believers in the afterlife and people who think this is the one and only life we have. There is much claimed evidence for the afterlife, but, at the same time, skeptics would reject such claimed evidence and they would claim that they instead have all the evidence to support the idea that this is the one and only life we have.

It says in the Bible if you believe hard enough poison will have no effect on you. So right out of the gate your argument contradicts the Lord God Almighty.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: There are certain things we do widely agree upon as human beings such as the idea that, if you drink poison, that would be lethal to you. There is no disagreement about that.  So, we know this is a fact. But then there are things that we just argue and debate about. One side thinks they know the truth and the other side thinks they know the truth.

My position, and the position of skeptics, and most atheists, is NOT that we know there is no afterlife. The Skeptic position is that the evidence for an after life is drastically insufficient to support the claim.

In other words, I don't claim to know, with absolute certainty, that there is no afterlife. My position is that the claim that there is an afterlife has not met its burden of proof.

My position is not dogmatic, it is provisional. As long as the claim that there is an afterlife fails to meet its burden of proof, I will remain a disbeliever in the afterlife.

Quote: But perhaps none of them know the truth and they just think they do. An example would be debates between believers in the afterlife and people who think this is the one and only life we have. There is much claimed evidence for the afterlife, but, at the same time, skeptics would reject such claimed evidence and they would claim that they instead have all the evidence to support the idea that this is the one and only life we have.

If the evidence for the afterlife approached the level and type of evidence that, some poisons are lethal, I would be a believer in the afterlife.

My mind is opened to the possibility of an afterlife, all that it would take to convince me, is demonstrable, repeatable and falsifiable evidence, and reasoned argument to support the claim.

Got any?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(February 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: There are certain things we do widely agree upon as human beings such as the idea that, if you drink poison, that would be lethal to you. There is no disagreement about that.  So, we know this is a fact. But then there are things that we just argue and debate about. One side thinks they know the truth and the other side thinks they know the truth. But perhaps none of them know the truth and they just think they do. An example would be debates between believers in the afterlife and people who think this is the one and only life we have. There is much claimed evidence for the afterlife, but, at the same time, skeptics would reject such claimed evidence and they would claim that they instead have all the evidence to support the idea that this is the one and only life we have.

No, a history of making claims is not a history of testing and falsification and peer review. 

How about humans fear death and or get sold these myths while young prior to formulating adult thinking skills? The idea of an afterlife really is a comic book reflection of our species evolutionary drive to continue. It is a false perception, an mental placebo. We only continue on in the memories of those who knew us while we were alive. Even then, there have been 5 mass extinction events on our planet, but our entire species too will go extinct even if we don't kill ourselves off by our own hand. After our planet dies and sun dies there will be no record of our species existence. 

There are in our galaxy alone an estimated 200 billion stars, and an estimated 2 trillion galaxies in our observable universe. No, I do not think I am special to this universe, nor do I continue on after I die. Life after I die will feel the same to me as it did 4 billion years ago when I did not exist.
(February 28, 2018 at 6:28 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:

It says in the Bible if you believe hard enough poison will have no effect on you.  So right out of the gate your argument contradicts the Lord God Almighty.

Homeopaths have you take poison all the time and nothing happens. Perhaps they are all gods.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Thank you for narrating the tiresomely obvious.  Have you got a point?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why atheism cannot escape absolute truth Delicate 154 25821 November 5, 2015 at 9:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
Question Absolute Truth (I know, but I need some help) Spacetime 60 13264 October 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 12725 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  what is "truth contest"? Yoplait 10 7994 June 22, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth? Tsun Tsu 29 9225 October 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Self-evident truth is a thing Avodaiah 34 11735 May 24, 2014 at 8:29 am
Last Post: archangle
  Why atheism is wrong - the shocking and unbiased truth Yahweh 17 4539 March 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  An Extremely ( Annoying ) Truth HUMAN CREATURE 15 5169 October 24, 2013 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Zazzy
  The truth about atheists jrrmc90 2 1893 March 19, 2012 at 1:52 am
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  John Gray: religion isn’t about truth (and science ain’t so hot, either) Justtristo 4 2564 September 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye