Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 2:06 pm

Poll: What determines if an action is moral or immoral?
This poll is closed.
The intention
17.65%
3 17.65%
The consequences
5.88%
1 5.88%
Other
76.47%
13 76.47%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does morality mean to you?
RE: What does morality mean to you?
(September 18, 2015 at 3:28 am)robvalue Wrote: ...
The action of a person, to the best of their knowledge and according to their beliefs at the time the action is taken is:

A moral action: an attempt by them to do the right thing regarding other people/animals. This should include where possible careful consideration of the method used, enough reflection to recognize the need to consult others before acting and ownership of the results of the action, whether they were intended or not.

An immoral action: one which they think is wrong, and are unconcerned with the consequences for others.

A neutral action: one that is neither intended to be right nor wrong.

Calling an action moral from their perspective does not mean I think what they have done is necessarily actually in the best interest of others. It doesn't mean I think they should be allowed to do it and not be stopped or put in prison. The law and morality aren't the same thing. It simply means they honestly believed they were doing the right thing, nothing more. Also note that a greater understanding implies a greater responsibility to use that understanding in your decisions. Of course we can objectively say that someone has been harmed by an action, even if the person was intending to do the right thing. I see no need to plaster this obvious objective consequence over the top of morality as well; simply assuming everyone else understands and agrees with our own morality is pointless and godlike. To say "I wouldn't have done that" is accurate, but entirely self centred and not useful. Of course, you can explain to the person why you wouldn't have done it. That is the important part. Then maybe you can shift their morality in your direction through reason.

I disagree with your criteria.  You would be telling us that most drunk drivers are being moral, because at the time the decision is made, they believe they can drive themselves home.  There is generally no evil intent.

I would say that they should have known that driving while drunk is not safe and they should not do it.  I do not care if they believe at the time of their action that they are doing nothing wrong.

Also, people are often willfully ignorant, such that they try to avoid thinking about things and learning about them, and that affects what they believe (and as a consequence, what they do).

Regarding your earlier post:

(September 16, 2015 at 8:33 am)robvalue Wrote: I entirely agree it is subjective and relative.

My idea of morality is you judge a certain person by their own standards, and their own beliefs. So if someone is doing the best they can with what they know and are capable of, then they are being moral, even if the result is bad. If I did the same action as them, with far greater knowledge and skills, knowing what would happen (something bad), then I'd be immoral.

But to say "That would be immoral if I did it, so it's immoral for you to do it" seems pointless to me. The action is going to appear to different people all sorts of degrees of moral. But morality is meant to be a measure of how much a person is trying to do good, not how well they succeed by other people's standards. For one thing, this "standard" it's being held to is going to be the arbitrary one that happens to be held by whoever is making the judgement.

A super powered alien could turn up and declare the whole of humanity to be immoral because all our methods seem primitive to them and have caused unnecessary damage. Is that a fair assessment? I'd say no. We did the best with what we knew.

This is my take anyway Smile To define morality any other way seems to defeat the whole point of it. We have plenty of other ways of measuring objective success.

I don't think it is useful to try to define "morality" as "someone doing what they believe is moral."  (If you need me to use actual quotes from your post, I can do that, but it will make the point harder to follow.)  Aside from the problem of using a concept to define itself (which makes it completely useless as a definition), I don't think morality is reducible to intentions alone.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 3:56 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Ashground - September 16, 2015 at 4:31 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by ignoramus - September 16, 2015 at 4:36 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by MTL - September 16, 2015 at 10:39 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Catholic_Lady - September 16, 2015 at 11:00 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 5:03 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Aoi Magi - September 16, 2015 at 6:11 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 6:17 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Aoi Magi - September 16, 2015 at 7:30 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 8:33 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Aoi Magi - September 16, 2015 at 9:26 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by MTL - September 16, 2015 at 10:47 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Kingpin - September 16, 2015 at 10:54 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Catholic_Lady - September 16, 2015 at 9:52 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by paulpablo - September 16, 2015 at 9:59 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by houseofcantor - September 16, 2015 at 11:37 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Captain Scarlet - September 16, 2015 at 2:22 pm
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 18, 2015 at 3:28 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Pyrrho - September 18, 2015 at 9:26 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 18, 2015 at 9:46 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Pyrrho - September 18, 2015 at 10:41 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 20, 2015 at 4:50 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by bennyboy - September 20, 2015 at 6:51 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Grandizer - September 23, 2015 at 6:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2073 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10702 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37949 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1364 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8363 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3595 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4514 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2966 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 7070 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 11045 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm