Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D
RE: Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D
(December 10, 2015 at 1:51 pm)Losty Wrote: I think the advantage would be that my daughter graduated to a 5th grade reading level yesterday and she is slowly growing to hate school because "it's sooo boring". The academic disadvantage to being in a grade well under your level is that you get frustrated and discouraged. I want her to be somewhere where she can actually learn new things.

I suffered from this myself. In Teheran, I was in a private schol where, by sixth grade, I had studied French, geometry, and world as well as American history. When I returned to America in the middle of that school year was when I began hating school, because it wasn't just boring, it was stultifying. Even in my eleventh-grade US History class I never did any of the homework; the way the grade was assigned was 90% exams, 5% homework, and 5% attendance. Since I had already learnt the coursework in deeper detail than Mr Schiro was teaching, simply showing up and acing the exams gave me an A in that class for that year. Hell, I was stoned half the time, too. And because I had been put in remedial English due to having moved and my test scores not being available (pre-Internet age, y'all), and because Mr Zarit weighed his grades towards attendance and not performance, I flunked bonehead English the first semester (moved to Honors once test-scores arrived).

I left high school, though, with a 2.9 GPA, because other teachers weighted attendance or homework higher, and outside of English and the fine arts (both drawing and music) I was bored out of my skull, and saw no point in re-covering material I already knew. It was a bad decision I made, there; and that's why I say keeping your child challenged is a good thing, so long as you understand that the most important teacher a child has is an involved parent -- something you obviously grasp.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D - by Thumpalumpacus - December 10, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 832 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  First-time, non-violent criminals do not belong in prison. Jehanne 25 1594 August 29, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Welcome back? Foxaèr 84 7102 April 19, 2022 at 8:24 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Non-Alcoholic Beer Foxaèr 48 2650 June 13, 2021 at 5:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Non-Alcoholic Bears LadyForCamus 8 679 June 12, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  About non European films. Peebothuhlu 4 550 November 15, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] Are you non-binary? Porcupine 48 3750 July 18, 2020 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Welcome guests!! Jehanne 3 640 June 30, 2020 at 10:24 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 566 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6335 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3