Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 10:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D
RE: Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D
(December 12, 2015 at 4:43 pm)Evie Wrote: I'd say it's a combination of asking your child what she wants Losty, but at the same time making sure she sufficiently understands the long term implications of getting what she wants... I mean she might think she wants X but in the long term she'd prefer Y. Smile

Ask what she wants, she's a smart kid... but make sure she's as informed as she is able to be Heart

Also, if what she wants you think would actually not be beneficial to her happiness long term, despite her thinking otherwise, try to advise her and explain why you think the other choice would be better... but ultimately I still think it's best to let her decide when it comes down to it. You'd never want your child to resent you in the future for convincing her to go against her own wishes because I think we both agree that the "It's for your own good attitude" wouldn't be good parenting Smile And that wouldn't be good for either of you.

I know we both hate that "it's for your own good" shit, and I know you'd never use that phrase itself Smile

While I'm certainly against "because I told you so" and I hate "it's for your own good" (especially when said to adults). I will admit that after I have explained myself and answered all of the "why?"s if they still disagree with my decision it is tough luck, buttercup. I nurture the independent thinking as much as possible and I encourage them to try to make their own choices, but in the end I have to have the final say. Kids can be intelligent but they tend to lack common sense and they suck at considering the future. So yea, most of the time they don't get to have the final say.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D - by Losty - December 12, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 832 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  First-time, non-violent criminals do not belong in prison. Jehanne 25 1594 August 29, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Welcome back? Foxaèr 84 7102 April 19, 2022 at 8:24 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Non-Alcoholic Beer Foxaèr 48 2643 June 13, 2021 at 5:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Non-Alcoholic Bears LadyForCamus 8 679 June 12, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  About non European films. Peebothuhlu 4 550 November 15, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] Are you non-binary? Porcupine 48 3747 July 18, 2020 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Welcome guests!! Jehanne 3 640 June 30, 2020 at 10:24 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 566 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6334 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3