Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
RE: what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
(November 17, 2015 at 11:04 am)jenny1972 Wrote:
(November 16, 2015 at 3:06 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I'm not attacking.  Just sayin' - bring it up, people here will push for that discussion.  And actually, one of my immigrant ancestors was a Deist - wouldn't let his kids anywhere near a church.  I would love to have a time machine to ask him what he believed, and why.   
     He actually said "my creed and my bible do not agree".   A further answer would almost certainly be this:  I see wonders in creation that I can't explain, so there must have been a creator.  However, the Jesus story makes no sense to me, and the Jewish Yahweh is not a god I can worship.   I have seen no further proof of a deity, therefore, a creator must have finished creation, and then had no other dealings with humans.
     Some modern deists describe us like a science experiment: set all the parts in motion, then don't interfere. Let the subjects do what they will do, if you interfere, the whole experiment is tainted, and you must start over.

where did he immigrate from was he a christian before he became a deist what age did he become a deist do you know ? thats interesting ive heard that too about God as a scientist do they believe in life after death? or is that something theyre unsure about ? no i didnt think you were attacking i just think its better to avoid debates that are pointless but your right ive ended up talking about it despite my belief that its completely pointless to debate lol a few times so your right . i didnt know how many deists were on this website i think thats the best way to learn about anything is talk to ppl i think everyone is interesting

My many-times grandfather William came to the Colonies from England in 1740.  Family lore says that he studied to be a minister.  (Recent research points to a very religious and wealthy cousin who probably paid for his education.)  He graduated, was assigned a parish, and started into his first sermon.  THEN he got the guts to shut his Bible and say "my creed and my Bible to not agree".  In 2015 speech, that would be "I can't do this, I don't believe this crap."  At that point he had to run away.  (Well, he HAD taken advantage of an expensive education and then never finished one sermon - yeah, his family was probably pretty angry.)  He went to London and worked as a carpenter.  Lord Baltimore liked his work and sent him to the Colonies.  He served as a carpenter, and he taught area children to read and write.  That's about all I know so far.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Messages In This Thread
RE: what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ? - by drfuzzy - November 17, 2015 at 11:52 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2703 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1893 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 556 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2376 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 711 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1751 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7468 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 14375 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7237 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7979 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus