Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The discovery of alien life may be close. How will religion survive it?
RE: The discovery of alien life may be close. How will religion survive it?
Personally I doubt that there's any possible fact, no matter how contradictory with the Bible, that the most entrenched of Christians couldn't find a way to integrate into their beliefs. That's just the nature of the beast. So either by ignoring it, redefining terms, rejecting it/conspiracy theories, or... I can't remember the word for it... it's on the tip of my tongue... adding to the Bible to make it fit... like what has been done in some places to try and consolidate the differing accounts of the tomb and the men/angels in it in the four Gospels... find a hypothetical missing link that technically does not conflict with anything stated but at the same time, ends up saying something none of them said. I can't for the life of me think of the word for it but basically I think the Bible, or any text for that matter, can basically be a core/seed surrounded by layers and layers of mental additions to make it fit with known facts, and I think that's how it survives every onslaught of science for those heavily invested in it. Either that, or making it more 'allegorical'. So personally I'm not holding out for any scientific smoking gun, because no matter how objectively convincing, I know it wouldn't change the minds of the most biased believers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The discovery of alien life may be close. How will religion survive it? - by emjay - April 29, 2017 at 6:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1035 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  When we close our eyes are we "seeing" dark or do our eyes shutdown? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 2527 December 9, 2017 at 6:10 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Nice Discovery From 12th Dynasty (Middle Kingdom) Egypt Minimalist 1 796 June 7, 2016 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Life comes from life Won2blv 16 3010 April 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Earth may have underground 'ocean' three times that on surface TubbyTubby 69 9217 June 29, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Serotonin Receptors May Be Linked to Spirituality/Religion MountainsWinAgain 2 1006 May 24, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Out of Africa Crowd May Shit A Brick Minimalist 15 5447 January 30, 2011 at 6:02 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Red dwarf flares may threaten alien life Welsh cake 4 1873 January 21, 2011 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Justtristo