Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes
Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes
Be it atheists or theists, many may feel human life may be purposeless or untenable; i.e. a never ending search or a "why" question that's perhaps not worth asking.

I think there's a viable alternative to especially the "purposeless" based outlook, with the introduction of a recent concept called "teleonomy", which is an atheistic/scientific way to describe nature in purpose driven language. (In fact, as seen on Wikipedia/teleonomy, Richard Dawkins; recently introduced the treatments “archeo” and “neo” purpose. See his video/speech "the purpose of purpose".)

Anyway, for example, using the laws of thermodynamics, we can try to objectively discover non-trivial goals that humans may undertake, as far as nature goes. (i.e. grand purposes for the human species, that reasonably transcend the desires of individual humans, while seeking to be objective, much like how Science tends to follow the evidence, aiming to describe what the cosmos actually is, rather than what people may want the cosmos to be.)
  • The video aims to explore in a fun way, objective scientific purpose wrt the human species:

Note that you don't need to watch the video, you can alternatively see the following two hypotheses below, which details different grand purposes that the human species may undertake:
  • An atheist PhD psychologist hypothesizes that future humans are probably supposed to replicate universes [2017] : "Cosmological Evolution and the Future of Life"
  • An atheist computer scientist hypothesizes that a grand human purpose is probably to create Artificial General Intelligence [2015] : "Why the purpose of the human species is probably to create artificial general intelligence?"

I once talked to a theist years ago, and the person mentioned they felt empty, and they even considered self-termination.

The above is another reason why I'm making this post. As an atheist back then, (I am still an atheist today), I somewhat grappled with purposelessness, although I was shocked to find out that this affected theists as well, especially when they supposedly had a perfect purpose laid out before them; namely to worship some deity.

Both theists and scientists seem to somewhat regard science as valuable; even if some theists disregard/deny many empirically observed scientific principles, they seem to not mind using many products of science, such as internet, and computers. This post is designed to appeal to scientific/objective descriptions of purpose, which may appeal to both theists and atheists.
RE: Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes
objective purpose? Do you know what objective means?
RE: Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes
(November 25, 2018 at 1:42 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: objective purpose?  Do you know what objective means?

It can be used as a noun or adjective. I referred to the adjective portion therein.
I propose less esoteric objectives for human intelligence:

-Indoor toilets.

-Really good television.

-Curry.

-Interesting reading material.

-Music.

-Chocolate fish.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 25, 2018 at 8:12 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I propose less esoteric objectives for human intelligence:

-Indoor toilets.

-Really good television.

-Curry.

-Music.

-Chocolate fish.

Boru

Cell phones that actually work as phones.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I smell the sock of PGJ ... PGJ ... PGJ ...

You fooled me once; you won't fool me again.
(November 25, 2018 at 8:12 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I propose less esoteric objectives for human intelligence:

-Indoor toilets.

-Really good television.

-Curry.

-Music.

-Chocolate fish.

Boru

So long as progress on #1 continually outpaces #3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Even if we don't kill ourselves off as a species. Brian37 33 2177 October 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The discovery of alien life may be close. How will religion survive it? TubbyTubby 60 10420 May 3, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Intelligent Design as a scientific theory? SuperSentient 26 5993 March 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Have we failed as a species? ignoramus 50 10094 March 9, 2017 at 7:54 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
Exclamation Can you give me scientific references to mass loss during the pass over? theBorg 26 4568 August 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Questioning Scientific Titans ScepticOrganism 19 3057 July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Scientific Studies IATIA 9 1830 May 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The scientific version of good and bad Detective L Ryuzaki 15 5090 August 31, 2015 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  New Dinosaur Species... Minimalist 12 3946 July 17, 2015 at 6:09 am
Last Post: abaris
  Scientific Adam and Eve Won2blv 52 14295 June 22, 2015 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut