Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Leftists Purging History or Al Queda in America
RE: Leftists Purging History or Al Queda in America
A Theist does actually have a point, even if it is mired in all the revisionist "Lost Cause of the South" mythos that became endemic in the South in the years since the Civil War.

While the Confederacy's entire raison d'etre was the perpetuation of slavery, to the extent that, with a few exceptions, its constitution was a copy-pasted version of the US Constitution made more racist (to the extent that earlier this week, I found no less than three passages where they explicitly said Confederate States had to allow slavery as a condition of being part of it (not to mention all the articles of secession that explicitly state slavery was a major concern of theirs, and the quotes from members of the Confederate cabinet who outright stated it), there was a rather severe disconnect between the reasons the Confederate Government fought and why many individual soldiers fought (up to and including General Lee, who was considered a top contender to head the Union Army until Virginia seceded): many of the soldiers saw themselves as being invaded by the North over something they had no control over and felt it was their duty to defend their homeland. I mentioned before the story related by Shelby Foote where a Union soldier found a poor soldier from Virginia and asked why he was fighting, and he said poor Confederate soldier in Virginia and asking him why he was fighting and he said "I'm fighting because you're down here."

Also, the issue of Black confederates is actually pretty complicated, Throughout the war, Black people had been part of the Confederate army, but they were strictly forbidden from bearing arms for the vast majority of the war, and while the subject came from time to time, the subject of changing the law was actively suppressed until in January 1865, Robert E. Lee requested it. They finally allowed black soldiers to enlist on March 13, 1865, and even at the time, people were saying stuff to the effect that "if this works, the whole premise for our nation is fucked." I'm sure they used more delicate phrasing, but I'm having a bit of difficulty in finding the exact quote, but I'm sure someone willing to put the time (even if it's just watching the last two episodes of Ken Burns' Civil War series and waiting for the subject to come up) can find it. Less than a month later, Appomatox happened and the war was over, so they didn't have much of a chance to distinguish themselves.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leftists Purging History or Al Queda in America - by Rev. Rye - August 18, 2017 at 9:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  America's newest chess master Foxaèr 9 534 May 20, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] Josh Hawley is the most dangerous man in America WinterHold 15 710 January 9, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The REAL Threat To America BrianSoddingBoru4 11 873 December 15, 2020 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  America’s Chief Export BrianSoddingBoru4 107 5169 April 21, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Coronavirus Is the Worst Intelligence Failure in U.S. History WinterHold 0 295 March 26, 2020 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2738 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Serious] America can you pls stop meddling in countries you have no busienss in. Cepheus Ace 44 2484 March 26, 2019 at 11:51 am
  This day in active shooter history..... Brian37 46 3643 February 24, 2019 at 2:18 pm
  Another day another mass shooting in America downbeatplumb 35 4534 August 29, 2018 at 4:29 pm
  America is introducing 3D-printed guns now Alexmahone 29 2683 August 1, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: TaraJo