Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 5:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender
(August 22, 2017 at 1:13 pm)shadow Wrote: I think it's important to consider why we'd treat a guy different from a girl. Gender may not be the best metric for that, because it stereotypes (sort of a judgement shortcut). There's a reason we'd treat genders differently, and that has to do with the characteristics of that gender. For example, scientifically, women are on average naturally less muscular than men, so it reasons that they may be less capable at self defense. We can generalize, and that's where we get our societal gender stereotypes from, and maybe they aren't valueless. But, they don't really address the actual issue in this case, which is strength. So they aren't as accurate a way of judging someone as looking at the actual characteristic that influences how we treat someone.
If we're going to continue this discussion you'll have to find a way to add fidelity, perhaps refer to sex instead of gender.  If you're talking about biological females being less muscular on average then you're talking about sex.  

Quote:All this to say... I think we generally treat guys differently from girls for a reason, and that reason at it's core isn't as simple as gender.
It is. It's just not as simple as -sex-.

Quote:It's a characteristic that is grouped under gender, that may or may not be accurate for an individual. It's a judgement shortcut that, while easy, isn't as valid. So I wouldn't treat a guy differently from a girl for arbitrary gender reasons, but for the characteristics of that guy that form his gender. That is the extent to which I agree with A. 
You say you wouldn't, but have you ever wondered whether or not you do?  

Quote:I have no problem with that. But that's a different thing from changing from one gender extreme to another. It's not that I see it as wrong, just unnecessary if you believe gender constructs aren't valid in the first place.
It doesn't matter what you or I or "liberals" believe about the validity of gender constructs - and again, you're the one calling them invalid.  They exist. If a person wishes to conform to one of them, then they should go do that, and other people should stop looking for problems where there aren't any. Wink

I could accurately sum up your entire position thusly-

"If wishes were horses, ergo liberals hold contradictory positions"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by shadow - August 21, 2017 at 11:07 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Losty - August 21, 2017 at 11:16 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Losty - August 21, 2017 at 11:37 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 22, 2017 at 11:32 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 23, 2017 at 10:19 am
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 23, 2017 at 11:11 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by The Grand Nudger - August 22, 2017 at 2:09 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by SaStrike - September 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Amarok - September 17, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7910 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7417 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A rant on gender stereotypes Natachan 203 25987 January 10, 2015 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Losty
  Potential Christian-Platonist Contradiction? MindForgedManacle 18 4240 April 16, 2014 at 11:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2768 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View Knight 132 60922 January 28, 2010 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet