Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist
RE: New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist
(December 14, 2017 at 7:17 pm)skydivephil Wrote: Its often said by theists when debating the fine tuning argument , there is no evidence for a multiverse. 
I have used the fine-tuning argument before, but now I see it as evidence for an evolutionary process... in a sense like a multiverse.  That is because we use algorithmic learning which mimics evolutionary biology to arrive at solutions which seem far too complex to be solved in a straightforward manner (which would imply supernatural intelligence).

(December 26, 2017 at 9:17 pm)Astreja Wrote: I am strongly of the opinion that my current self terminates forever at the  moment of physical death, with no aspect of my personality surviving. 
I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm curious... Do you see yourself as a flash of consciousness between two eternal darknesses?  If so, then how do you see yourself really existing at all?

Similar pondering must have prompted Nietzsche's "eternal return" argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_...nal_return

If something happens by chance in an infinite chain of causality, it must happen infinite times.  Anything that happens by chance, cannot happen only once.

How do you reconcile this in your belief?  Have we had this conversation infinite numbers of times previously and are destined to discuss it infinitely more?  Not only that, but in every possible form also for an infinite number of times?

If causality is not infinite, then it must have a beginning and therefore causeless, which doesn't make any sense.  How do we escape the ridiculous?

St. Augustine is no help; merely calling upon god for “the ridiculousness of the Logos dying on the cross like an acrobat in an interminable sequence of performances.”  In other words, god wouldn't care for the idea that christ would need to be sacrificed an infinite number of times; therefore, it's false.  He had the advantage of assuming a creator, but how are atheists to handle this proposition?

(December 31, 2017 at 10:47 pm)snowtracks Wrote: The reason for people to SAY there is no God is because of natural pride and self-sufficiency.
Yes, but isn't it also pride to chose eternal life?  "Nothing can be more egotistical than true repentance." - Alan Watts.

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works; lest any man should boast.

If there is nothing you can do to be saved, then is "choosing" something you do?  If you choose correctly, then you can brag about it, so Ep 2:9 comes into play and it appears that, yes, choosing is a work.  How can anyone, therefore, be saved?

Paul states clearly that it's a gift and there is no bragging about something you had nothing to do with.  You could not have made a choice to receive that gift because then you'd feel entitled to drag your large ego through the Gates while shoving St Peter aside in haste.  "Make way!  I made the right choices and therefore I deserve to enter."  Jesus even tells of such occurrence Matt 7:22...

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?  23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Paul says, "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."  That's as opposed to "proudly proclaiming".

You may consider whether you've realized the true meaning of faith and humility.  Faith isn't clinging to religion and religion and humility are antipodal.

If the atheist community is searching for a reason to push against religion, they may add to the toolbox the assertion that religion defeats its own purpose and may subject its adherents to the very destruction they're fleeing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist - by Agnosty - January 8, 2018 at 7:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2556 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3413 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1730 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4909 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8262 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2929 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The world's first scientist LinuxGal 8 1240 October 31, 2022 at 6:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1063 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2613 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50789 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII