Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God
RE: The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God
@Hammy: I agree, adding "and God" on the end makes the proposition less likely, especially since it has nothing to do with it. Religious people sometimes however define morality just in terms of god's scorecard, see below. In such a case, the scorer is then required. I was pointing out that they're trying to defend something that makes no sense in the first place, so yeah, adding a huge bum splat of a God and all the nonsense that brings along with it just makes it worse.

@Whoever: The idea that there are any sort of "moral truths" out there still makes no sense to me. Morality is so utterly poorly defined that not even the goals of it are agreed on. You'd have to first narrow it down to some particular subset of morality, or else saying true things about it is just impossible.

(May 1, 2018 at 2:59 pm)henryp Wrote:
(May 1, 2018 at 2:40 pm)robvalue Wrote: 3) Morality is a rule governing how reality functions, like the (apparent) laws of nature.

If this is the case, then there should be some way of demonstrating what exactly this law does. As it stands, it doesn't appear to do anything.

I don't think there's an objective morality, but I'd guess this is the one religious folks are thinking of.  And the idea is that it 'does something' on the other plane of existence where spirits and Gods and heaven and all that jazz exist.

Another angle, is that it's like the 'game of existence.'  And somebody wrote the rules how to play.  If you're playing monopoly, and your little dog token is on Boardwalk, and you roll a 3, you can't eat a treasure chest card.  You can, I suppose, but it's objectively wrong in the context of monopoly.  Or at least it can be inferred to be against the rules if not specifically stated.

God creates existence.  Makes the rules for existence.  We're existing in the context of existence.  

That's how I'd pitch the idea anyways.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. God could be using it as a system in his scoring card. Then god does stuff to you after you die based on your score. Even then, the rule itself isn't doing anything, and has no impact whatsoever until you die.

Maybe there is an actual law of morality in heaven that physically stops people doing bad things to each other.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God - by robvalue - May 2, 2018 at 8:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 770 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13454 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6791 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The existence of God smithd 314 19882 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6780 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3172 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1726 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3882 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4792 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5820 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris