Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums"
RE: Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums"
(May 16, 2018 at 12:27 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Sorry. I understood your objection to be that dualism must be false because mind and body would be different types of substances and therefore could not interact.

No I was saying that two different substances are barely asserted based on nothing without any possible explanation on how they could react. And that was only my second objection. My first objection you didn't even address.

Quote:To which my reply was just because we do not know how two fundmentally different kinds of substances could interact it doesn't follow that they cannot.

Indeed and I never said otherwise. But why should there be two fundamentally different kinds of substances? And within my second objection I also mentioned that to many people if two different fundamentally different kinds of substances are able to interact then whose to say they are not the same substance? To some, even being able to interact makes it the same substance if we're talking of fundamental substances. Because if two fundamental substances can interact then what is even meant by saying that they are two different kinds of substances?

And again, this is all just part of my second objection, that you strawmanned as an argument from ignorance—you don't even address my first objection.

(May 16, 2018 at 3:39 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 3:00 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: So by the standard definition of free will, that it is the ability to do otherwise, they did not possess free will in that instance, as they had no chance of doing otherwise.

Apparently features of free will include the desire to test your bounds. Wonder 'why'. Desire things 'just because'. Think you know best or reason your way into anything you desire. IMO, you can't separate these things from free will, so they are a feature of free will. I would say that only omniscience stops all that.

We're saying that in a deterministic universe if you are determined to do A then you must do A. Again, a choice between A and A is not a choice.

And in an indeterministic universe there can be no self-determining because nothing is determined by anyone or anything at all. This is why libertarian free will is so incoherent.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums" - by Edwardo Piet - May 17, 2018 at 6:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sick Of All The Racist Forums. getfree 5 466 January 3, 2024 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sick Of All The Racist Forums. getfree 1 266 December 27, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 17336 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions. LostDays 33 6389 November 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest