Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 7:14 pm

Poll: What is your pro-life position?
This poll is closed.
Abortion is immoral but not a matter for the legal system
28.57%
2 28.57%
Doctors and/or mothers should be prosecuted for aborting
0%
0 0%
Mothers should also be physically forced to come to term in some circumstances
0%
0 0%
Other
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you're pro-life, how far do you take that?
RE: If you're pro-life, how far do you take that?
(August 8, 2018 at 5:47 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 5:08 am)robvalue Wrote: I'd like to bring this point up again though: laws are about what is best for society, they are not about judging what is and isn't moral.

Devil's advocate here. 

Sure, laws against murder help to keep and maintain order. If you could simply kill someone for pissing you off, you could cause a fair amount of disorder. Permitting everyone to kill others for whatever reason they wanted would be utter chaos.

But that's not the whole story. Laws are enacted to enforce a moral code, too.

If a society were to enact a law that allowed parents to decide if they wanted to kill their children at age nine, one could argue that the society could still run smoothly with such a law in place. Hell, it might even be of benefit, weeding out some of the more ornery little shits before they could cause real damage Wink

What about killing a disabled homeless guy with no friends or family? It could be argued that society is impacted little by such a deed. Still, it seems wrong to permit such an action.

The point is, we don't permit murder for moral reasons. Murder is illegal for reasons other than its possible adverse affect on an orderly society.
I would disagree. Chicken and egg here. We don't permit murder because it causes harm. We call it amoral once we decide it does indeed cause harm.

We call murder amoral, and have laws against it, because it causes harm; both individual harm And societal harm. We don't call it amoral just for shits.

It cannot be argued successfully that unnecessary harm is to be accepted. If it were, then we would see that more often. As a matter of fact, we do allow some killing. When? When we agree the benefits outweigh the harm, or when it is necessary to prevent further harm. In self defense, defense of others, and war (though there may be less agreement on this last point).

This essentially comes down to, how do humans determine what is moral? The answer: what causes unnecessary harm. I think that most pro choice people will admit that abortion causes harm. But much like killing in self defense, it causes less harm in the long run than the alternative.

Case in point. Notice the main arguments against gay marriage mostly focus on if its harmful. Is it hurting society? Ruining children? Destroying hetero marriage? Causing disease? And where people stand on the issue largely comes down to if they think the answer is yes or no.

Please, name one reason we outlaw murder aside from the harm it causes to individuals, and therefore the societies those individuals live in.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? - by Aroura - August 8, 2018 at 6:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 660 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3565 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9894 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6683 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 8009 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2840 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8422 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
  "Jesus take the wheel, 'cause I sure ain't!" Gawdzilla Sama 19 2191 December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists henryp 63 10459 January 1, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8288 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA