Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 11:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 1, 2019 at 5:06 am)bennyboy Wrote: Well what science will do is get down to correlates-- read this or that poem, or have a subject read it, or whatever, and see what brain systems light up and how.

Yeah, this part makes sense to me. And that's not so far from the article that was pointed to earlier in the thread. You read about poem about kittens, and the part of your brain that likes cute and fuzzy is activated. 

Quote:Eventually, you'll be able to watch people listen to a poem and tell which poem they're listening to.  

This part seems more questionable, because a good poem alludes to a lot of different things, and affects different people differently. 

In the Baudelaire I quoted earlier, there are a lot of variables. What if the reader's French isn't very good? What if he isn't familiar with melancholy as a traditional concept? What if he doesn't know who Sisyphus is? What if he doesn't get the allusion to Gray? The brain activations would be very different. 

What if you had to learn the poem in high school, and it had happy memories for you? What if it was your ex-girlfriend's favorite poem and whenever you hear it you want to kill somebody? 

Quote:But what neuroscience CAN'T do is explain why there's subjective enjoyment at all, or even a subjective mind-- as opposed to the Universe having no such thing.

Yes, this is the main problem. The jump from the electrochemical events to the experiences is unexplainable. 

But if you want to say that on this forum, prepare for personal attack.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - January 1, 2019 at 5:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 10459 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 718 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2967 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1454 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11250 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9214 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad