Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Family Rifts
RE: Family Rifts
Sucky situation all around sounds like.

My mother caused a huge rift in our family that divided all three of us kids from dad and drove a wedge between my sister and I that lasted about a decade. During that time my brother and I still talked but we are so far apart in age that we were never really close anyway.

We are all aware how toxic mom is. My brother talks to her on the regular. My sister waits till she gets the whiney voicemail and then breaks down and calls her. I do not deal with mom. She will call now and then but it's always more of her self-serving BS. I am simply over it. I don't need the poison that she spews or the needless drama she leaves in her wake.

I made a full break and I end phone calls quickly and curtly. I hate that she upsets my sister but my sister has to make her own decision...she knows what any dealings with mom results in...there will be lies and manipulations and snide remarks...no one can push buttons quite like mommy dearest. I can't do anything about the relationship between mom and my siblings...it's not my job and they are grown adults who can determine their own boundaries. I have asked my siblings and my kids (also grown) to please not make me the topic of any discussion they have with mom. Of course, I can't control that either but I did ask.

Luckily we are miles from one another so there isn't that extra pressure of get-togethers and holidays...no one wants to spend a holiday with mom....not even her baby boy.

You have to realize that you can control your relationship with other family members. And...other than your minor children...you cannot control the relationships your family members have with one another.

I agree with SteelCurtain in the importance of setting boundaries.

Would you voluntarily spend time with someone who acts the way your family does? Being related doesn't mean you have to be in the middle of someone's toxicity.

- Families are dangerous places.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Messages In This Thread
Family Rifts - by mlmooney89 - January 24, 2019 at 5:45 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by SteelCurtain - January 24, 2019 at 9:33 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by arewethereyet - January 24, 2019 at 10:11 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by EgoDeath - January 24, 2019 at 10:16 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by brewer - January 24, 2019 at 10:17 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by SteelCurtain - January 24, 2019 at 10:22 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by EgoDeath - January 25, 2019 at 2:53 am
RE: Family Rifts - by TaraJo - January 24, 2019 at 10:49 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by brewer - January 24, 2019 at 11:49 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by TaraJo - January 25, 2019 at 12:15 am
RE: Family Rifts - by Private - January 25, 2019 at 6:10 am
RE: Family Rifts - by mlmooney89 - January 25, 2019 at 12:23 pm
RE: Family Rifts - by Shell B - January 25, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's Weird About Your Family? BrianSoddingBoru4 36 1953 August 24, 2023 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Major surgery for family member tomorrow. arewethereyet 19 1172 October 31, 2021 at 11:34 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When family invites you to church for the holiday Bahana 28 2175 August 12, 2020 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Sal
  [Serious] The Family Atheist Gnomey 21 1311 July 16, 2020 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Supporting Family Members Financially EgoDeath 26 2413 November 13, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger