Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump did a good thing by humiliating Saudi Arabia
RE: Trump did a good thing by humiliating Saudi Arabia
(June 25, 2019 at 12:35 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(June 24, 2019 at 3:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I never said that they were 'Saudis'.  But the correct, accepted term for these people is 'Saudi Arabian', whether you like it or not. Look it up.

Boru

This name -Saudi- is a new as the reign of the Sauds in 1744:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Saudi_Arabia

Quote:The history of Saudi Arabia in its current form as a state began with its foundation in 1744

The word "Saud" refers to this family :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saud

Quote:The House of Saud (Arabic: آل سعود‎, romanizedʾĀl Suʿūd IPA: [ʔaːl sʊʕuːd]) is the ruling royal family of Saudi Arabia. It is composed of the descendants of Muhammad bin Saud, founder of the Emirate of Diriyah, known as the First Saudi state (1744–1818)

No. Its citizens are not properties of the house of Saud, this place -Arabia- is way older than the house of Saud or 1744.

I didn't really need the history lesson, but I appreciate your effort.  But at the risk of repeating myself:

-Not everyone on the Arabian Peninsula lives in Saudi Arabia.

-Irrespective of your feelings about the Saud family (and I do share them), the proper demonym is 'Saudi Arabian'.  This is to differentiate them from Omanis, Bahrainis, Yemenis, and so on.

-Calling them 'Saudi Arabians' doesn't make them the property of the Saud family anymore than calling US citizens 'Americans' makes them the property of the Vespucci family of Italy.

-If you don't smoke weed, you should.  If you do, you should up your intake and relax a bit.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump did a good thing by humiliating Saudi Arabia - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 25, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1011 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bellwether, is that really a thing? Brian37 8 456 November 3, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Aren't Judaism and Aryanism the same thing? Sweden83 63 2723 December 4, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is preserving languages a good thing? FlatAssembler 21 2545 November 4, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1064 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Is corruption mostly a good thing? FlatAssembler 26 2037 December 16, 2019 at 9:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Saudi Arabia: the King has Alzehimer; forgetting words in front of camera WinterHold 27 2373 February 28, 2019 at 6:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Arrested Citizens Being Tortured In Saudi Arabia WinterHold 0 349 February 21, 2019 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36916 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1370 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav