Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Righteous and the Woke
RE: The Righteous and the Woke
(October 13, 2019 at 8:05 pm)notimportant1234 Wrote: You know what is the biggest flaw of radicalism? Radicals don't really get anything from debate. For example, I started a forum about processed meats a few days ago ( not a vegetarian or a vegan) and a regular poster on the forum argued that taxing sugar and processed meat could lead to malnutrition. Even if it is not economically true, it is a point of view that should be taken into consideration, if I was a radical probably I would say something like : " Fuck you meat eating murderer".

Although I'm not from the U.S., I can relate to how some people can push others on the wrong path with childish beliefes. For example, some members of the opposition in the parliament in my country ( Romania) are betting on completely free markets, while I, after I read Thinking Fast and Slow, consider that anything that lacks regulation will lead to something bad. Not because we are bad but just because we don't know better and if in the U.S. pushing someone in a different political view means a shitty president in Romania it means enabling corruption.

I agree. It's much easier to simply paint your opponents as, in this example, meat eating murderers, than it is to actually try to consider their point of view and take into account that they may very well have a nuanced, well-thought out opinion. If you admit the latter, then the person you're talking to might have a point, which means you might be wrong.

I totally agree though, radicals don't get anything out of debate, mostly because they outright refuse to debate, often times. They truly and utterly believe that they issues they believe in are such a given, are so common sense and unquestionable, that debating about them isn't even an option.

While this may be true for some viewpoints, if it's such common sense? Why not simply spell that out for your "opponent" and sweep them under the rug when you're done? If it's so obvious and so self-explanatory, treat your counterpart like a five year old - explain it simply and concisely and then be done with it.

@Succubus

Huh?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Messages In This Thread
The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 11, 2019 at 1:55 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 11, 2019 at 11:54 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 12, 2019 at 12:03 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Grandizer - October 14, 2019 at 5:40 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Little lunch - October 12, 2019 at 4:54 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 12, 2019 at 10:15 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Little lunch - October 12, 2019 at 6:46 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 12, 2019 at 6:55 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 12, 2019 at 3:59 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by brewer - October 12, 2019 at 11:26 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Hillbillyatheist - October 12, 2019 at 2:00 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 12, 2019 at 6:25 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by notimportant1234 - October 13, 2019 at 7:31 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 13, 2019 at 12:28 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by notimportant1234 - October 13, 2019 at 8:05 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 13, 2019 at 9:40 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Succubus - October 13, 2019 at 9:22 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by notimportant1234 - October 13, 2019 at 9:54 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Acrobat - October 14, 2019 at 12:19 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 14, 2019 at 12:37 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 14, 2019 at 12:57 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 14, 2019 at 8:41 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Little lunch - October 15, 2019 at 1:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of Your Colleagues Just Woke Up, V Minimalist 16 1107 July 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist