Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 1:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Atheist married to Pentecostal. Anyone else in this situation?
RE: Atheist married to Pentecostal. Anyone else in this situation?
Not married to a Pentecostal but was raised by them. My SO is ex-Baha'i vaguely theist and we just don't argue about it; neither of us feels that strongly about it and she does not attend. So I don't have that hard a row to hoe compared to you. I've seen a marriage torn apart by one spouse losing their religious belief while the other retained theirs but not one an atheist married a Pentecostal before.

It seems in this instance she has changed, going from 'mildly religious' back serious Holy Roller; while you maintain roughly the same stance. If it was me, with so much invested in the relationship, and not having to go see her acting that way in church; I think it's something I could live with; but it's clearly distressing to you.

If the difference were something else, I'd suggest compromise; but you can't really expect a fundamentalist to compromise on their religion.

The only advice I can give is to tell her, gently, how you feel. Not that you want a divorce, she should not be hearing about that until you've explored other options, but she needs to understand that it really bothers you. And seek non-pastoral counseling; or if she must have it that way, both pastoral counseling and counseling by a qualified secular marriage counselor as well.

Best of luck, I would not want to have to wrestle with what you're going through.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist married to Pentecostal. Anyone else in this situation? - by Mister Agenda - March 14, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did anyone else mail order music albums? Brian37 7 434 February 26, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone else here published a book? FlatAssembler 9 809 June 25, 2018 at 6:16 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler