Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Moral Relativists in the House?
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House?
To the OP:

Vulcan, I would like to suggest a pragmatic compromise of sorts. In the same way that anyone can know that something is without knowing what the thing is, people can have objective moral theories (in the sense that such hypotheses are derived from experience, properly basic beliefs*, and objective facts) but because uncertainty is part of the human condition the best we can do is make moral systems (in the the same way we devise systems to perform complex processes with greater reliability)...and most so-called moral systems are basically heuristics of various accuracy and helpfulness.

I say helpfulness because, as I see it, the value of a heuristic comes from its reliability and fittingness for various intellectual tasks, not necessarily its veracity or insight into fundamental reality. For example, it seems right and proper for policy makers and public servants to adopt Utilitarianism and Rawlsian "veils of ignorance", whereas, a captain of industry may attribute his or her success to steadfast adherence to "common sense" principles summarized by catchy aphorisms and traditional proverbs. Or as another example, the dramatic testimonies of people whose turn to Christ turned their lives. The truth is everyone navigates the moral landscape using multiple heuristics everyday. My driving behavior during the morning commute reflects the Kantian approach of "what if everyone drove like that?" - keep up with the pace of traffic, share the road, etc. My work opinions are often informed by utilitarian considerations within the limits of inviolate guidelines. That vacillation between various ethic systems could be considered a limited form of moral relativism. I.e. there are moral facts that are easy to discern but creating a system that readily and infallibly produces morally acceptable outcomes for all circumstance is IMHO impossible. The best to which we can aspire for any system is to make morally acceptable choices most of the time under most circumstances.

But doesn't my use of value-laden terms like "best" and "acceptable" imply a meta-moral system to decide between moral systems. A skeptic might say that I am just pushing the problem back. To this I say, our common humanity adequately serves as an objective moral standard. It means something to be human.  And because it means something to be human, there is an empirical data set to which everyone can refer. When we try to convince others to "do the right thing" we generally appeal to their humanity. I suspect if there actually were Klingons, we would fully expect their morality would reflect something of what it essentially means to be Klingon.

In summary, I could consider myself a moral relativist in the sense that no one system is sufficient to cover all the nuance of a truly human life experience but...that does not mean that all moral systems are equal...So deciding which moral system to apply, in my estimation, is more like cultivating a discernment of one's own humanity and that of others. Wisdom. Here I'd like to speak to you, vulcanlogic, because the Ephesians quote you hate tacitly accepts the institution of slavery, it plants a idea that once acknowledged makes slavery abhorrent and that idea is that slaves and masters share a common humanity.

* which are many such as the belief in the following: 1) independent physical reality, 2) other minds, 3) the efficacy of reason, etc.
<insert profound quote here>

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Brian37 - May 23, 2021 at 6:59 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Foxaèr - May 23, 2021 at 7:49 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Angrboda - May 23, 2021 at 11:57 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Sal - May 23, 2021 at 1:09 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Brian37 - May 24, 2021 at 5:00 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Brian37 - May 26, 2021 at 4:07 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by no one - May 24, 2021 at 7:26 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Brian37 - May 24, 2021 at 12:52 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Brian37 - May 24, 2021 at 6:01 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by no one - May 24, 2021 at 1:00 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Angrboda - May 24, 2021 at 1:01 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Angrboda - May 25, 2021 at 8:17 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by brewer - May 25, 2021 at 11:29 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Angrboda - May 25, 2021 at 3:24 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by brewer - May 25, 2021 at 4:47 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Angrboda - May 30, 2021 at 12:48 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Neo-Scholastic - May 30, 2021 at 8:23 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Belacqua - June 14, 2021 at 1:40 am
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Foxaèr - June 17, 2021 at 9:48 pm
RE: Any Moral Relativists in the House? - by Foxaèr - June 17, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13462 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6792 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6787 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3173 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3884 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5827 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3240 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7202 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Moral Oughts Acrobat 109 7816 August 30, 2019 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10393 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ