Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally.
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally.
(December 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm)Barre Wrote:
(December 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(December 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm)Barre Wrote:
(December 7, 2011 at 1:28 am)Chuck Wrote: What's the point of agonizing over the correct interpretation of a particular word in a piece of an out and out lie that has been purposedly edited to suit multiple unmentionable purposes and been intentionally and unintentionally transcribed a hundred times?

There is no agonizing, only an attempt to interpret a biblical text.

You seem unwilling for some reason to study something that you regard as a lie.

Will you have this much enthusiasm when presented with a native american religion, or how about the Norse?

Are you this passionate about Thor as you are with Jesus?

Do you think that I have correctly determined the nuance of Jesus' prediction about the appearance of the Messianic Age? If not, how would you render the text in question?

In a sense I do. What you are speaking of in the OP is the classic duality of a prophecy. How can you tell that it is an actual prophecy, or a self fullfilling prophecy?

An actual prophecy, in this context, would mean that God panned for something to happen and then let at least one person know in advance before his plans came to fruition....or, to be fair, that God predicted the future, and because of freewill he is unable or unwilling to change that future but still sends out warnings to at least one person.

Self fullfilling prophecy is a script. A fiction written by men in the hopes that those who like the story might make what the author wrote about into reality. Self fulfilling prophecies are also "in story" prophecy. The Dr. Strange comics have used this type of prophecy before. The beginning of the comic present a prophecy, and Dr.Strange tries as he can to prevent it. At the end, Dr. Strange finds out that the prophecy turned out much more different than he expected, yet the wording of the prophecy was 100% accurate.

In this situation I would say that this OP deals with the self fulfilling type prophecy, the fictional type prophecy used to make a story more magical and entertaining.

Also, I would like to point out, that the mistakes you have found if viewed under this concept shows that the bible is not a well thought out or well written peice of literature, as its story tends to clash with other stories. This can be expected from a book put together by several different authors put together by rival organizations who only slightly agreed to come together to gather strength in numbers. This is, in my mind, why we have 4 Gospels as opposed to one. There were more than likely many more written, but those who supported them were not numerous or powerful enough to get them included into cannon. So, in a sense, this is not the outcome of bad editing, because the rival majority factions would obviously not come together if they allowed others to edit their manuscripts for consistency. What you see, especially in the new testament, is a collection of what the majority factions voted should represent the newly formed orthodax Christianity from the broken gnostic type groups that they used to be.

In my mind, many of the screwups in the bible arent too much because of bad writing (although there is plenty of it in there), but more about political give and take of the early forming of orthodoxy.

...and it hasnt changed since.

Messages In This Thread
The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 7, 2011 at 1:20 am
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by reverendjeremiah - December 8, 2011 at 10:16 am
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 14, 2011 at 4:01 am
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - January 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - January 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 19, 2011 at 7:37 am
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 26, 2011 at 2:57 am
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - December 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by ThomM - December 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by padraic - December 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - January 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Phil - January 23, 2012 at 10:37 am
RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally. - by Barre - January 24, 2012 at 12:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I literally cannot avoid sinning; so, why... zwanzig 70 4011 July 23, 2023 at 7:43 am
Last Post: no one
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9684 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1890 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2813 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theism is literally childish I_am_not_mafia 391 60497 November 16, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 24998 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 110130 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7509 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Exclamation Jesus is Dead Cinjin 73 15092 February 12, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7300 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist