Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Argument against atheism
Argument against atheism
Atheism is correctly termed as a belief that there are no gods and is no God; it is not a lack of belief, a simple lack of belief is agnosticism. Atheism is a conviction.

Any belief, if sound, must logically be taken to it's ultimate conclusion to be proven.

A belief that some things are inherently good or bad, that there is purpose, value, meaning, or any objective reality aty all outside of human perception, necessitates faith. There is absolutely no empirical evidence that murder is "bad". Such a hypothesis necessarily denotes that value judgements are true.

Value judgements are only possible through observation of a conscious entity.

A belief that value judgements are true necessitates consciousness as a primary function of the universe, rather than a purely mechanical universe.

A belief that consciousness is a primary function of the universe, that consciousness pervades everything and is true apart from time or space, that things are in fact "real", that some things are inherently bad or good, right or wrong, true or not true, would be correctly termed a belief in "God".

If consciouness is a primary function of the universe; if there is a particle that peervades everything, if any of our observations are actually correct, that particle or consciousness would be best described as a singular and constant thing rather than multiple different things. If consciousness exists outside the sphere of humanity, and is inherent rather than an emergent function of complex systems, that necessitates a belief in what would be correctly termed a monotheistic deity.

A belief that this "God" does not exist is illogical. it is committing a fallicy of ignorance and contrary to all scientific observation and acheivment.

A belief that objective truth does not exist is a belief that nothing actually exists outside of our own consciousness. That the only reason things are real is due to our perceptions and out brain, chemical reactions, neuroscience. A truely atheistic world view necessitates that gravity does not "exist", laws of physics are mere conscious observations that have no inherent truth besides that which humans ascribe them. Atheism can not coexist in a sceintifically objective worldview.

Religion and "God" are not the same. If "God" exists, it exists apart from man-made religions and inspite of them, not beccause of them. Religion was created by primitive man to explain how and why things are objectively true. All religion, includinng science, was inspired by a belief in objective reality, in real truth, a belief in "God'.

Atheism is a belief that things are not real. Most atheists, with their limited intellects (which usually surpass the intellects of their theist counterparts) believe that they attack or disbelieve iin "God" when in reality they are simply attacking religion.

Logically, if one was being intellectually honest, most atheists actually believe in what would correctly be termed a montheistic deity, of "God", that truth and reality exist outside of human comprehension and understanding, even if they say they don't. .

This is not an attempt to force my beliefs on anyone. I offer no truth about religion or flying spaghetti monsters. It is simply my own logical observations. I do not claim to know the "mind" of "God". I am not stating unequivicolly that God exists, although I believe that to be true. It is entirely logical that reality is, in fact, purely subjective. That the universe is entirely mechanical. That truth, love, hate, morality, value, purpose, logic, consciousness, etc are not inherent qualities that things have but merely perceptions of the human brain. If that is what you believe, you are an atheist. If it's not, you're not, even though you may claim to be. Most atheists, in my opinion, are just as confused as theists they disagree with. Atheists have been disillusioned by the plight that man has created in the name of religion and ignorantly rejected the idea of God, but in reality any argument made by atheists is ultimately not an argument against God, it is an argument against particular religious beliefs.

Reality is not subject to the limits of human knowledge

I encourage lively and respectful debate.
RE: Argument against atheism
'A belief that this "God" does not exist is illogical. it is committing a fallicy of ignorance and contrary to all scientific observation and acheivment.'

Bertrand Russell knows more about logic then you, and disagrees.
Not again! *facepalm*
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(December 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: 'A belief that this "God" does not exist is illogical. it is committing a fallicy of ignorance and contrary to all scientific observation and acheivment.'

Betrand Russell knows more about logic then you, and disagrees.

He was also better at spelling than you both. Just sayin'.
WTF u on? Wink
a belief that rules of logic actaully exists neecessitates a belief in something that would correctly be termed a monotheistic deity. While you may be correct about Betrand Russell's superior grasp of logic with respect to me, you are unknowingly validating the very essence of my argument.
(December 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm)amkerman Wrote: A belief that some things are inherently good or bad, that there is purpose, value, meaning, or any objective reality aty all outside of human perception, necessitates faith. There is absolutely no empirical evidence that murder is "bad".

Unless, of course, one was to murder unbelievers, because that is totally fine.

In all seriousness, you've hit the nail on the head. I do not consider murder to be objectively or intrinsically bad. Not that it's not bad, just that it being so is not a property of reality; murder is bad in my opinion.

(December 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm)amkerman Wrote: Value judgements are only possible through observation of a conscious entity.

Yup. That's what I said; in my opinion.

(December 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm)amkerman Wrote: A belief that value judgements are true necessitates consciousness as a primary function of the universe, rather than a purely mechanical universe.

Nope. Not unless you believe that they are true by definition and for everyone.

I'm sorry, but I simply see no reason to believe in absolute moral values (actually, I see more evidence to the contrary). I think that kind of breaks your argument, doesn't it?
If you believe with conviction that anything objectively is true you believe in something that would correctly be termed a monotheistic deity. You say that you don't believe in absolute moral values, and that may be correct, but if you believe that anything is objectively true you can not logically call yourself an atheist. You may be right; it is entirely possible that "God" does not exist and nothing is inherently true or real. I fear you are being intellectually dishonest to yourself Darwinning.
Another theist lemming follows over the precipice.
your response is very telling of your lack of insight on the subject Chuck. Surely you have given a great deal of thought on the subject; unfortunately, you just aren't very smart. Ad Hominem attacks only offer any truth about the speaker.