Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uninformed 'vital for democracy'
Uninformed 'vital for democracy'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16206336

Uninformed individuals are vital for achieving a democratic consensus, according to a study in the journal Science.

The researchers say that they dilute the influence of minority factions who would otherwise dominate everyone else.

This is because they tend to side with and embolden the numerical majority.

The findings challenge the commonly held idea that an outspoken minority can manipulate uncommitted voters.

"We show that when the uninformed participate, the group can come to a majority decision even in the face of a powerful minority," said lead author Iain Couzin, from Princeton University.

"They prevent deadlock and fragmentation because the strength of an opinion no longer matters - it comes down to numbers. You can imagine this being a good or bad thing.

"Either way, a certain number of uninformed individuals keep that minority from dictating or complicating the behaviour of the group."

Natural preference

But the effect has its limits. The team found that if the number of uninformed becomes too high, a group ceases to function coherently, with neither the majority nor the minority taking the lead. (this explains the political situation in the U.S. today, IMHO - OGM)

"Eventually, noise dominates because there just aren't enough informed individuals to guide the group," said Dr Couzin.

The observations come from studying groups of fish, as well as mathematical models and computer simulations.

The experiments involved golden shiners, a fish prone to associating the colour yellow with a food reward. The researchers trained groups of golden shiners to swim towards a blue target, while smaller groups of fish were trained to follow their natural preference for a yellow target.

When the two groups were placed together, the minority's stronger desire for the yellow target dominated the group's behaviour.

But as fish with no prior training (the uninformed individuals) were introduced, the fish increasingly swam toward the blue target preferred by the majority.

Real-world parallels

Donald Saari, a professor of mathematics and economics at the University of California-Irvine who studies voting systems, said he saw parallels to the work in markets and politics.

He said the arc from minority domination to pluralism to the potential degeneration into "noise," could be seen in the US electoral system.

A forceful minority can dominate in circumstances that attract the more politically inclined, such as mid-term elections and primaries.

In more popular elections, however, that influence waned as less passionate people participated.

Situations in which a candidate's personality or personal life takes precedent over policy positions in voters' minds could be an equivalent to the breakdown in direction the Science study found when there were too many uninformed individuals, Prof Saari said.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Uninformed 'vital for democracy'
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Overall, I completely agree with the article. In a society based on individualism there necessitates a democracy where all are heard equally. Unfortunately, however, when the majority becomes uniformed as to the current situation - either by choice or by coercion - the democracy fails, and becomes stagnant, or in some cases, changes to become an oligarchy. The description of the levels of 'uninformed-ness' is intriguing and something I've never took serious time to think about, but they make sense.

Thanks for the article, good read.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
Quote:"We show that when the uninformed participate, the group can come to a majority decision even in the face of a powerful minority,

In Australia we call the majority 'the donkey voters".These are people who vote for the same party all of their lives,even if they don't like their local candidate.

Elections here are almost always decided by the 'swinging voters', which means between 3 and 6% in most electorates.These people have the wit to actually think about the candidates,and choose the one who seems to offer them the most or who will damage them the least.

I have no idea who the academics consider 'informed'. My perception is that outside of the political arena, such animals are very rare indeed.Thinking
I think a distinction needs to be made between "uninformed" and "batshit crazy."
Maybe that system is broke? Popular opinion is really no way to make decisions... especially if most of the people aren't even informed on the issue. Definitely makes me happy for a repulic, rather than a straight democracy.
(December 20, 2011 at 1:36 am)Minimalist Wrote: I think a distinction needs to be made between "uninformed" and "batshit crazy."

It would be interesting to see the results of a study of batchit crazy people.

Oh wait...

[Image: perry-gun.jpg]

Reminds me a lot of this:

[Image: gunblast.jpg]
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Even in a republic, the representatives are voted in by the general public or popular opinion. I'd propose a political technocracy.

Technocracy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy
I wonder if Perry has been to any of Cheney's hunting parties.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(December 20, 2011 at 1:58 am)Perhaps Wrote: Even in a republic, the representatives are voted in by the general public or popular opinion. I'd propose a political technocracy.

Technocracy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

LOVE IT! When and where can we start?
Start with economics, then progress to social reform, then political reform. It's a long process, and it requires quite a few brilliant minds to accomplish. To completely redefine a country takes more than a group of unhappy protesters - as Time magazine seems to think, it requires the greatest minds of the time to come together for the betterment of society. People need to be led, but unfortunately, leaders often become corrupt with power.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 591 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Real democracy Macoleco 23 1216 March 17, 2022 at 9:06 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  The Future of Democracy JairCrawford 49 3155 March 11, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can Democracy NOT lead to Oligarchy? ignoramus 4 352 July 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Democracy is fucked up Zenith 31 8491 February 25, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  The States Are The Laboratories of Democracy! Minimalist 12 2035 August 19, 2016 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  US Puppet Democracy Aractus 18 2196 June 20, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Aractus
  They’re all bought and sold: American democracy belongs to the billionaires now Heat 70 8452 February 7, 2016 at 2:50 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Talking about dictatorships and mafia and theocracy and democracy. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 32 3845 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Reforged
Video What is your favourite endorsement of democracy? Ashground 10 2009 July 5, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Joko