Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholics Have a Sense of Humor, If Nothing Else
Catholics Have a Sense of Humor, If Nothing Else
http://tithenai.tumblr.com/post/32151862...each-other

Two churches across the street from one another (one Catholic, one Presbyterian) have a debate over who, and what gets to go to heaven.

IMO- Catholics win.

Smile

RE: Catholics Have a Sense of Humor, If Nothing Else
Ehh. It's really hard for me to say anything nice about catholicism or catholics without bringing up their propensity for inappropriate child-touching among other crimes against humanity.
That said, that specific catholic church is a really cool church. I always appreciate a good sense of humor.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Catholics FTW!
Man, I feel ya on the horrific catholic scandals making the catholic church seem icky, but I grew up catholic, and never met a priest without a sense of humor. Most of them smoked a lot, and were drunks. My family, though mostly shit heads, are really funny people. I swiped this from my aunt, who posted in on her fb wall. Catholic people will always have a place in my heart, and I love going to church functions because there's wine and beer everywhere, and catholics are hilarious drunks.

One time I asked my priest, Father Luke, why god made me such a cry baby (I was 8 and everyone loved picking on me because I was sensitive), and he replied very dryly, "He doesn't like you."

We both laughed our asses off, and then he poured the rest of his beer in my cup, and patted me on the head.

The Catholics aren't being douchebags for once AND both churches changed their messages a total of NINE times on the SAME DAY?

There's real life humor, and there's Photoshop humor. One makes you laugh, the other, groan.
(December 23, 2011 at 11:50 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Man, I feel ya on the horrific catholic scandals making the catholic church seem icky, but I grew up catholic, and never met a priest without a sense of humor.

Well, let me elaborate a bit -

There are a lot of things I've come to respect about the catholic faith and the establishment behind it.
For example, I have a lot of respect for any religious organization to basically say, yeah, our holy book isn't perfect. Evolution and big bang are things. I am aware of at least soem number of catholic scientific organizations of some repute and they have a good number of quality colleges.
It's disappointing that they're still fifty to a hundred years behind on certain social issues like women's rights and homosexuality, but they seem to be coming around on those issues as well.
Still, as far as religious organizations go, they're very progressive - even where it disagrees with their own holy book. That takes some balls given how easy it is to be a hard-lined fundementalist that has a everything-or-nothing view of their holy book - be it the Koran or Bible.

I'm a big believer in not letting a few bad apples ruin a group made up mostly of good people. That said, the higher ups need to own up to the child molestation charges and the systemic problem that allowed it to perpetrate. It's reprehensible and disgusting and the people behind it need to suffer. That said, I don't think it should reflect on EVERYONE in that particular faith - particularly the good men of the cloth who never did anything wrong. It's akin to saying that the anti-gay views of the Westboro Baptist Church is representative of all christians.

So given that they resisted official investigations and people got away with things that they shouldn't have, it's come to be very difficult to say nice things about the cahtolic church in general without also sounding like you support or at least don't care about the child molestation. It just puts everyone in a bad position.

So for me at least, it makes thing difficult when I have legitimately good things to say about them just because that black mark is inescapable and I do have legitimately good things to say abou them and many of the people in that faith.

So, ultimately, all i have to say is I wish I could shake the hand of the guy or guys who decided to put up the signs. He sounds like a cool guy to talk to.

Also, I really hope the church finally allows their priests to marry. To be a Catholic priest has to be the most epic blue balls there are. I bet a lot of them would stop drinking so much if they could just get some p****.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Makes you groan.

I never let a bummer make me regret a laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU&ob=av3e

Didn't he kill himself? Life is weird.

I have major problems with the catholic church. My best friend/husband was raped by a priest, who got away with it. He also died last year from AIDS.

I'm just not the type of person who can be very hateful in general, so I don't judge people for being catholic, or even a catholic priest. That's not worthy of hatred, or even disdain in my book. How an individual behaves defines the aspect in which they're viewed, in my eyes.

The Catholic Church is not progressive enough, in my opinion. I know it's more progressive than other Christian sects, but it's basically a joke. Every priest I've ever met was an atheist. I could tell, especially looking back. It's a money racket, just like the rest of them.

I see your "Be Happy" and raise you one "Robot Hell Song" as sung by Dan "Homer Simpson" Castlenetta and John "Bender Bending Rodriegez" DiMaggio plus others.
The Bestie Boys are there too, but no one cares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_zqOu5WB4

The Catholics definitely won that exchange.

I'm not a fan of the catholic church by a loooong shot and in Oz we have probably one of the biggest arseholes the church has ever produced in the person of Cardinal George Pell.

But we also have this guy, http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&...4BWoU9jBFA

A genuine working class hero.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I was brought up Catholic, and experienced both sides of the Catholic church on a somewhat fundamental level, and the pedophilia did play a large part in my leaving the church in the first place... but I believe it is as tolerant a christian faith I've encountered... I won't defend Catholics in depth here, but will say that if I were in some fucked up alternate universe to go back to the christian faith, the only way I'd go back would be Catholic. My upbringing seemed a lot less offensive, to me, than most of the other christian faiths I've encountered.

That being said, the whole bunch of christianity is indefensible, in pretty much every respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else... EvolutionKills 18 2503 March 28, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  I wanna be your humor Hammer! Brian37 0 455 August 30, 2021 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Danger Of Humor. Brian37 4 757 August 24, 2021 at 7:49 am
  So wrong, but dark humor funny wrong. Brian37 13 2048 March 27, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Rank humor tackattack 3 372 December 1, 2018 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Anyone else a fan of "Whose Line"? Brian37 13 848 July 12, 2018 at 1:51 pm
  God all makes sense now! Edwardo Piet 0 419 February 12, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Oklahoma and sports humor. Brian37 0 273 September 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm
  Humor but not humor. "Trump is......." Brian37 27 2550 December 3, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Shocking DNA discovery - Catholics in crisis Cyberman 24 2833 August 2, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Expired