Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank humor
Rank humor
How do we relate to humor in today's time and what do you find humorous:
(Here's a list of some in no particular order)
1. physical (stooges)
2. Self-deprecating (self meme'ing)
3. surreal (silly like monty python)
4. improvisational (who's line is it anyway)
5. wit-wordplay (puns)
6. topical (SNL)
7. observational (seinfeld)
8. bodily (fart jokes, etc.)
9. dark (clockwork orange, etc.)

Are there more? What order least to most likely to get a laugh now?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Rank humor
Tack, evidently, telling theists how stupid they are is up there near the top!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Sure it is here, I just figure you guys would be sick enough of theistic arguments to find it less funny, but you know a captive audience and all.... Anyways, barring adding more I think my list would go something like (lowest to highest)

(L) Self-deprecating (self meme'ing)
wit-wordplay (puns)
dark (clockwork orange, etc.)
physical (stooges)
topical (SNL)
bodily (fart jokes, etc.)
surreal (silly like monty python)
observational (seinfeld)
(M) improvisational (who's line is it anyway)
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(December 1, 2018 at 12:31 am)tackattack Wrote: Sure it is here, I just figure you guys would be sick enough of theistic arguments to find it less funny, but you know a captive audience and all.... Anyways, barring adding more I think my list would go something like (lowest to highest)

(L) Self-deprecating (self meme'ing)
wit-wordplay (puns)
dark (clockwork orange, etc.)
physical (stooges)
topical (SNL)
bodily (fart jokes, etc.)
surreal (silly like monty python)
observational (seinfeld)
(M) improvisational (who's line is it anyway)

I'm most likely to enjoy wit-wordplay, as long as it's spontaneous. Anything that looks as if it was worked out in advance for comedy purposes kind of leaves me cold. 

These last few months I've broken my rule and begun to teach beginning English conversation to a pair of students. Normally I hate beginners' classes, but these two are brilliant witty people. (They are also among Japan's top-rated social dance teams.) Their minds are so quick that when they don't know how to say something in real English they make up some crazy mock-English that gets the message across. They also do spot-on animal impressions. I have never laughed so much in my life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I wanna be your humor Hammer! Brian37 0 452 August 30, 2021 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Danger Of Humor. Brian37 4 755 August 24, 2021 at 7:49 am
  So wrong, but dark humor funny wrong. Brian37 13 2023 March 27, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Oklahoma and sports humor. Brian37 0 271 September 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm
  Humor but not humor. "Trump is......." Brian37 27 2533 December 3, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  the real reason why we haven't seen Jesus in 2000 years . . . (humor) drfuzzy 1 1259 May 3, 2016 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Not really humor, but I always find it funny. Brian37 1 977 February 22, 2016 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Living in Death
Big Grin Science nerd humor *Deidre* 10 3060 January 5, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Alcohol humor...... Brian37 17 3768 June 9, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Racist jokes (just for good humor) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 79 14806 April 22, 2015 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Polaris