Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three examples of Markan expansions of gMark
Three examples of Markan expansions of gMark
The three clearest indications that an underlying narrative has been expanded by a later hand are:

- The insertion of the story of John the Baptizer's death:

The Twelve Sent Out
7 And He summoned the twelve and began to send them out in pairs, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits ; 8 and He instructed them that they should take nothing for their journey, except a mere staff -no bread, no bag, no money in their belt - 9 but to wear sandals ; and He added, "Do not put on two tunics." 10 And He said to them, "Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave town. 11 "Any place that does not receive you or listen to you, as you go out from there, shake the dust off the soles of your feet for a testimony against them." 12 They went out and preached that men should repent. 13 And they were casting out many demons and were anointing with oil many sick people and healing them.

John's Fate Recalled
14 And King Herod heard of it, for His name had become well known ; and people were saying, "John the Baptist has risen from the dead, and that is why these miraculous powers are at work in Him." 15 But others were saying, "He is Elijah." And others were saying, "He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old." 16 But when Herod heard of it, he kept saying, "John, whom I beheaded, has risen !" 17 For Herod himself had sent and had John arrested and bound in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, because he had married her. 18 For John had been saying to Herod, "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife." 19 Herodias had a grudge against him and wanted to put him to death and could not do so; 20 for Herod was afraid of John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and he kept him safe. And when he heard him, he was very perplexed ; but he used to enjoy listening to him. 21 A strategic day came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his lords and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee ; 22 and when the daughter of Herodias herself came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests ; and the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever you want and I will give it to you." 23 And he swore to her, "Whatever you ask of me, I will give it to you; up to half of my kingdom." 24 And she went out and said to her mother, "What shall I ask for?" And she said, "The head of John the Baptist." 25 Immediately she came in a hurry to the king and asked, saying, "I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter." 26 And although the king was very sorry, yet because of his oaths and because of his dinner guests, he was unwilling to refuse her. 27 Immediately the king sent an executioner and commanded him to bring back his head. And he went and had him beheaded in the prison, 28 and brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl ; and the girl gave it to her mother. 29 When his disciples heard about this, they came and took away his body and laid it in a tomb.

30 The apostles gathered together with Jesus ; and they reported to Him all that they had done and taught.

- Jesus' family comes to get him because he seems unbalanced:

20 And He came home, and the crowd gathered again, to such an extent that they could not even eat a meal. 21 When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses."

[i]22 The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, "He is possessed by Beelzebul," and "He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons." 23 And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, "How can Satan cast out Satan ? 24 "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 "If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 "If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished ! 27 "But no one can enter the strong man's house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house. 28 "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter ; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin "- 30 because they were saying, "He has an unclean spirit."

31 Then His mother and His brothers arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called Him. 32 A crowd was sitting around Him, and they said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You." 33 Answering them, He said, "Who are My mother and My brothers ?" 34 Looking about at those who were sitting around Him, He said, "Behold My mother and My brothers ! 35 "For whoever does the will of God, he is My brother and sister and mother."[/i]

- An insertion into Jesus' discourse on children:

33 They came to Capernaum ; and when He was in the house, He began to question them, "What were you discussing on the way ?" 34 But they kept silent, for on the way they had discussed with one another which of them was the greatest. 35 Sitting down, He called the twelve and said to them, "If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all." 36 Taking a child, He set him before them, and taking him in His arms, He said to them, 37 "Whoever receives one child like this in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me does not receive Me, but Him who sent Me."

Dire Warnings
38 John said to Him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we tried to prevent him because he was not following us." 39 But Jesus said, "Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. 40 "For he who is not against us is for us. 41 "For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward.

42 "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea.
RE: Three examples of Markan expansions of gMark
Min: it's yer birthday. Fill yer boots.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't understand why he posted whatever it is that he posted. He doesn't seem to have made a point.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
In scholarly circles there isn't much question that gMark has been tampered with by later church interests. That's true of all of them, though. The clearest example, IMHO, in gMark is the addition of verses 9-20 to the final chapter (16). Even some xtian translations of the bible admit that these are add-ons and either omit them or tag them with a note about their "inauthentic" status.

That alone should speak volumes!
(January 2, 2012 at 11:55 am)Minimalist Wrote: In scholarly circles there isn't much question that gMark has been tampered with by later church interests. That's true of all of them, though. The clearest example, IMHO, in gMark is the addition of verses 9-20 to the final chapter (16). Even some xtian translations of the bible admit that these are add-ons and either omit them or tag them with a note about their "inauthentic" status.

That alone should speak volumes!

I side with those who think 9-16 is an addition to Mark. Furthermore, I would say that Mark added the burial and empty tomb episodes to an earlier version of the Jesus story that ended at Mark 15:39.

39 The centurion, who was standing in front of him, had seen how he had died, and he said, 'In truth this man was Son of God (uios theou).'
Hmmm... I'd never considered that one. Certainly ending at 16:8 is not very satisfying in a dramatic sense, is it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1992 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Three Christian Women marry Jesus Divinity 21 4341 July 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Three Questions for God Time Traveler 123 19969 April 29, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Rainbow The Three-Headed "Jesus" Problem Minimalist 89 21673 August 25, 2015 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4874 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Examples of the atrocities caused by Christianity BoS 25 5470 June 11, 2014 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Jesus: gMark's Messianic Pretender as Aristotle's Tragic Hero Jesus.of.Nazareth 25 8298 December 14, 2012 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 14 3544 September 10, 2012 at 12:01 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 11 4133 July 27, 2012 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Shocked Modern examples of gullibility as evidence against Christian claims Tea Earl Grey Hot 103 53186 July 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims