Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncovering the Markan Allegory II
Uncovering the Markan Allegory II
If we read more into Mark, specifically the beginning of Jesus' ministry, we can see that Mark is still referencing parts of the OT that speak of punishment and destruction.

Mark 1:16-20

The only place in the OT where it speaks of people 'fishing' for others is in Jeremiah 16:16 but I'll quote it from just before that so we can get some context:

Jeremiah 16:10-18

Clearly this reference makes sense if one has to live through the aftermath of a war, just like the Jews did when Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed. Note how the character of Jesus is strongly bound through allegory to the tragedies that happened. The start of his 'ministry' parallel what YHWH did to punish the Jews beforehand.

This is actually perfectly in line with our initial understanding of Mark (Uncovering the Markan Allegory) which shows us J.t.B. is analogous to Elijah, which gives us an understanding of the role of Jesus; " I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes." (Malachi 4:5). Terrible the day was indeed, when YHWH destroyed Jerusalem according to Mark.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Uncovering the Markan Allegory II
(July 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: If we read more into Mark, specifically the beginning of Jesus' ministry, we can see that Mark is still referencing parts of the OT that speak of punishment and destruction.

The only place in the OT where it speaks of people 'fishing' for others is in Jeremiah 16:16 but I'll quote it from just before that so we can get some context:

Clearly this reference makes sense if one has to live through the aftermath of a war, just like the Jews did when Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed. Note how the character of Jesus is strongly bound through allegory to the tragedies that happened. The start of his 'ministry' parallel what YHWH did to punish the Jews beforehand.

This is actually perfectly in line with our initial understanding of Mark (Uncovering the Markan Allegory) which shows us J.t.B. is analogous to Elijah, which gives us an understanding of the role of Jesus; " I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes." (Malachi 4:5). Terrible the day was indeed, when YHWH destroyed Jerusalem according to Mark.

So?
LOL, FTR, you're attempting to have a discussion about the narratives and themes that may have contributed to the creation of a legend with someone who insists that the whole thing is a documentary.......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Drich Wrote:So?

Well it redefines what 'Christianity' is, doesn't it! If this interpretation is correct then Christianity is a fanatics club that puts the story of the destruction of the Jews on a pedestal. Of course Christians today don't know that and go about interpreting everything as literal history... Hence why I've never seen someone e.g. healed.

Interpretation is key.

Rhythm Wrote:LOL, FTR, you're attempting to have a discussion about the narratives and themes that may have contributed to the creation of a legend with someone who insists that the whole thing is a documentary

I figured I should stop just showing the 'inaccuracies' of the Jesus story and start putting forth my own theory of what the Gospels are. I think this line of argumentation is so much more powerful than simply showing where the Jesus story fails. After all, the Gospels are there in ink which means there was a motive behind them. I believe my theory explains that motive which is ultimately harder to disprove than showing the incoherence in a literal and historical understanding of the Gospels.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Well, prophetic cycles are important, especially so in this mythology. So, while you may be looking to events to provide an impetus for the ink, you have to be willing to entertain the possibility that even less similar events were stretched to fit the narrative (and that's avoiding that they may be manufactured whole-clothe). No one needs any event in actuality to provide a reason for storytelling.

In the end it's a bit like trying to decide what an author "really meant" post- humously with no help from the author. Tough nut to crack. Easy to criticize.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Well, prophetic cycles are important, especially so in this mythology. So, while you may be looking to events to provide an impetus for the ink, you have to be willing to entertain the possibility that even less similar events were stretched to fit the narrative (and that's avoiding that they may be manufactured whole-clothe). No one needs any event in actuality to provide a reason for storytelling.

In the end it's a bit like trying to decide what an author "really meant" post- humously with no help from the author. Tough nut to crack. Easy to criticize.

Yeah, fair enough. I think it's somewhat possible though. I mean we know quite well the context of the time I'd say. Knowing that there were Hellenistic Jews like Philo who would see deeper meanings in the OT also greatly boosts the possibility of Mark being a reworking of the OT in light of recent events affecting the Jewish communities.

The more I look into it, the more parallels there are between non-prophetic chunks of OT and Gospel. It's like the characters in the Gospel had to carry the OT and use it as a rough script for this 'genuine history' to turn out like that. Unlikely!
Well, also consider that all parts of the OT are "potentially prophetic" in that they can always be made to be so if the author of any subsequent narrative were inclined (and there's a very juicy reason to make them so). Prophecy after the fact and in absentia of fact are two fairly common themes in mythology. It does seem very important to us to "know whats coming", and we've held for a very long time that history repeats itself. I'm unqualified to say why this is for certain but one can see how a practical concern like this can be elevated to the status of the spiritual. Once there, it's a short hop and a skip to all of our myths -where we do find it in abundance-. Consider also that there may be a great deal of filler in the narratives........what do you do when you have a introduction on page 1 and the message on page ten, you have 8 pages of material you need to come up with. The same is true of oral traditions, where patterns of speech or little "mini-stories" ,even down to repetitive phrases and command-call words, are often leveraged as a memory aide.

Consider also, that narratives aren't always written for the purposes expressly stated within them (or assigned to them). Necronimicon being an amusing and more modern example of this. Lent, borrowed, tweaked, altered, forgotten and remembered, satirized, I mean, it's wide open.
(July 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Consider also that there may be a great deal of filler in the narratives........what do you do when you have a introduction on page 1 and the message on page ten, you have 8 pages of material you need to come up with. The same is true of oral traditions, where patterns of speech or little "mini-stories" ,even down to repetitive phrases and command-call words, are often leveraged as a memory aide.

And this is especially important with these texts given that the oral tradition was likely shaped by synogogues and nascent "churches" using the "bones" of the stories to shape traditional liturgical practice. Perhaps by picking and choosing appropriately, perhaps by structuring the narrative to serve liturgical needs, such as commemorating OT historical events, Jewish/Christian events of significance such as feast days and holidays, and the like. Or, it could have been driven by a completely independent process. About all you have is speculation.

However, that being said, within the limits of hermeneutics (according to some like Gadamer, damningly confining), a historical or literary hypothesis is measured similarly to that of a scientific hypothesis. You cast around for hypotheses and explanations, given methodological standards and current knowledge, you estimate how probable each hypothesis appears to be, and compare probabilities to see if there is any clear differentiation. Unfortunately, that is not without its shoals as believers and disbelievers are likely to have irreconcilable differences regarding epistemological assumptions. (E.g. Are miracles an exceedingly rare event? Those following metaphysical realism, as opposed to methodological realism, would say yes. But what are they basing their assumption of the base rate of miracles upon beside an assumption? Perhaps the continuing law-like behavior of the universe is one non-stop continuous series of miracles.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Well, also consider that all parts of the OT are "potentially prophetic" in that they can always be made to be so if the author of any subsequent narrative were inclined (and there's a very juicy reason to make them so). Prophecy after the fact and in absentia of fact are two fairly common themes in mythology. It does seem very important to us to "know whats coming", and we've held for a very long time that history repeats itself. I'm unqualified to say why this is for certain but one can see how a practical concern like this can be elevated to the status of the spiritual. Once there, it's a short hop and a skip to all of our myths -where we do find it in abundance-. Consider also that there may be a great deal of filler in the narratives........what do you do when you have a introduction on page 1 and the message on page ten, you have 8 pages of material you need to come up with. The same is true of oral traditions, where patterns of speech or little "mini-stories" ,even down to repetitive phrases and command-call words, are often leveraged as a memory aide.

Consider also, that narratives aren't always written for the purposes expressly stated within them (or assigned to them). Necronimicon being an amusing and more modern example of this. Lent, borrowed, tweaked, altered, forgotten and remembered, satirized, I mean, it's wide open.

I don't think the Gospel of Mark was something that evolved over time. That may be true of say John because when compared to the Synoptics it's quite clear that the story and theology became quite advanced.

Mark has too many explicit and implicit parallels to the OT that just makes me think it wasn't some oral tradition being taught.
(July 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: If we read more into Mark, specifically the beginning of Jesus' ministry, we can see that Mark is still referencing parts of the OT that speak of punishment and destruction.

This is like saying if J.F. Kennedy's biography contains themes of one warring power against other powers it must be fiction based on World War II.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allegory vs. Literal Fact in the Bible rexbeccarox 21 4757 April 26, 2013 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 14 3537 September 10, 2012 at 12:01 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Uncovering the Lucan Allegory FallentoReason 23 7846 July 30, 2012 at 6:23 am
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory FallentoReason 7 3943 July 11, 2012 at 3:26 am
  Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory Barre 139 56202 January 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Three examples of Markan expansions of gMark Barre 5 3112 January 6, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist