Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cosmic Kitty
The Cosmic Kitty
I am really freaking out. My precious angel cat, Cosmo, somehow managed to get on a high shelf, hanging in the middle of a wall with nothing whatsoever surrounding it. He knocked over my oil burner, soaking his paws in the oil. Being the perfect little meticulous being that he is, he tried cleaning it off. When I noticed it had happened, he was licking away at the stuff. I immediately bathed him with dish soap, and called my sister, the vet.

She was able to come over tonight, and look at him. He started making funny breathing noises like he was hacking up a fur ball, and it was scaring me. She said it was too late to induce vomiting. She gave him something in a shot, and some pain medicine, and said he might make it, but he might not. I am crying as I am writing this because that cat is my baby.

He doesn't have any other symptoms, as of yet. We checked his mouth for chemical burns, but he's clear. He ate about a half a can of cat food earlier, which is about usual for him, and he's even lapped a little milk. Other than that, he's pooping, walking, grooming, and still trying to forgive me for the bath. I have a few very deep scratches on my arms, but I don't mind. He only scratched me by trying to get out of the evil waters, and not out of aggression, as he is the sweetest, gentlest boy you'd ever meet.

The wheezing is terrifying, and I don't know I won't sleep until he gets better! I've already called out of work tomorrow, and my sister is stopping back by at noon to check on him.

I did not know that my incense oils were toxic to cats. Had I known, I would never have had them in my house. I kept them where I did to keep them away from little children hands, and clumsy kitty paws. I have no idea how he managed to get up there. He's not usually the one of my pair to do such things. He's totally chill.

Anyway, it's twenty after 3am here, and my daughter and I are snuggling with our angel cat, and keeping close watch over him. He really is a member of our family, and we can't even bear the thought of him passing. I feel so guilty that my ignorance has poisoned him, and I can't even fathom forgiving myself. Right now I'm just sick to my stomach, worried beyond belief, and hopeful that our beautiful boy can pull through this.

Baby Cosmo

[Image: cos1.jpg]

Baby Cos N Gloomypuff

[Image: cos2.jpg]

All growed up

[Image: cos5.jpg]

Love

[Image: cos4.jpg]

[Image: joecosmo.jpg]

[Image: cos3.jpg]

RE: The Cosmic Kitty
[Image: 31866_407884037459_696402459_4246990_2202460_n.jpg]

Hoping Cosmo gets better soon... and STOP BLAMING YOURSELF!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Thanks, Kichi! That lolcat made me smile a bit.

I am trying to be a little easier on myself. Just a couple weeks ago I made the exterminator swear an oath that his bug prevention chemicals wouldn't hurt my kids or kitties. I can't believe that I didn't have the presence of mind when I was at walmart buying the oils, to question their toxicity to my cats. Furthermore, I am angry that I had to hunt down my reading glasses and strain to read the warning label, and NO ingredients are listed on the bottle, or the website. I should have questioned it, yes, and I could punch myself for not doing so, but there should be a more prominent warning label about the risk to cats. All it said was "Keep out of reach of children and pets."

It doesn't say that the oil is especially toxic to cats! With as many homes that harbor cats as pets, you'd think they would be a little more forward, or specific about it.

(January 17, 2012 at 6:19 am)aleialoura Wrote: Thanks, Kichi! That lolcat made me smile a bit.

I am trying to be a little easier on myself. Just a couple weeks ago I made the exterminator swear an oath that his bug prevention chemicals wouldn't hurt my kids or kitties. I can't believe that I didn't have the presence of mind when I was at walmart buying the oils, to question their toxicity to my cats. Furthermore, I am angry that I had to hunt down my reading glasses and strain to read the warning label, and NO ingredients are listed on the bottle, or the website. I should have questioned it, yes, and I could punch myself for not doing so, but there should be a more prominent warning label about the risk to cats. All it said was "Keep out of reach of children and pets."

It doesn't say that the oil is especially toxic to cats! With as many homes that harbor cats as pets, you'd think they would be a little more forward, or specific about it.

Stop beating yourself up about it...how is Cosmo NOW??

Silly bloody cat gets it into it's head to do a fucking flying leap and YOU wear it?? NO WAY!

He/She MIGHT think twice before leaping onto shelves again.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Poor kitty and poor you and the kids. Hope everything turns out OK.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Yeah, I hope he is okay.

He looks like a cool cat.
Cunt
Cosmo has been sleeping for about 6 hours straight. He's pretty lethargic when I try to rouse him.

The good news is that my sister is bringing a bunch of stuff over to help him get better, maybe. Since her clinic is over an hour away, she is bringing her clinic to my house, and should be here in a few.

IV fluids, some really strong pain meds, and a shot that helps boost liver function. The meds are going to make him sleep for the better part of the next 48 hours, but at least he will be at peace while he's healing, or getting worse, and the fluids will keep him hydrated while he's out of it.

About an hour ago I was laying with him, stroking his chin, and he started purring. It wasn't the labored wheezing breaths, but real purring, and my sister said that was a good sign. I'm hopeful.

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the vets in your area. If you don't mind me asking what clinic is your sister with?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Highland. It's way out in Crossville.

He seems to be doing better now. Don't beat yourself up about it. I know how difficult it is at the thought of a pet suffering, but he does seem to be getting better, and I hope he does Smile He looks a pretty darn awesome cat!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy birthday, Kitty Galore Jackalope 10 760 September 23, 2019 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Happy Birthday Kitty Galore brewer 12 781 September 20, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Happy Birthday Kitty Galore brewer 15 1014 September 21, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: brewer
  Rep-pimping thread for the Mad Cosmic Emperor Iroscato Iroscato 60 7753 August 26, 2017 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Help TRJF name his NEW KITTY!!!!! TheRealJoeFish 52 4238 September 20, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Happy birthday Kitty Galore Jackalope 18 2851 September 20, 2015 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Hello Kitty Brian37 9 1836 February 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Something completely different