Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it correct to classify Obama as the first black president"
Is it correct to classify Obama as the first black president"
While his mother is white?
Doesn't this just make him just another white president in a long line of white presidents? I don't know about the Luo people, whom constitute his paternal descendance, but is it the case for his maternal descendence, where your ethnicity is determined by your father, or your mother?

[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
RE: Is it correct to classify Obama as the first black president"
No it isn't....but you don't understand the racist mentality of a lot of Americans.

For the Alabama crowd any black would be too much black.
(January 29, 2012 at 10:38 am)Minimalist Wrote: No it isn't....but you don't understand the racist mentality of a lot of Americans.

For the Alabama crowd any black would be too much black.

Let me ask as such than;
Is Obama more in touch with his african roots, or his *white* roots?
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
My grandparents came from Italy in 1912. Am I in touch with my Italian roots?

Well, I like lasagna and red wine. Does that count?

Obama may be in touch with his African-American heritage/culture. I doubt he knows all that much more about "Africa" than any of the rest of us.
He don't look white to me.
But that shouldnt matter as long as he does his job well.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Except for singing Al Green, well, he's a corporate schmuck and he's definitely 60/40 honkey.
My question: Who cares?
(January 29, 2012 at 10:52 am)Tiberius Wrote: My question: Who cares?

Tea partiers?Angry

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 29, 2012 at 10:46 am)Minimalist Wrote: My grandparents came from Italy in 1912. Am I in touch with my Italian roots?

Well, I like lasagna and red wine. Does that count?

Obama may be in touch with his African-American heritage/culture. I doubt he knows all that much more about "Africa" than any of the rest of us.

Well, he certainly is an african-american of the newer generations.
Meaning, he knows exactly of which tribe or ethnicity in Africa he is, and from which country his paternal line comes from, Kenya.
Under that context, he is nothing like the common african american whose parents came to Africa as slaves from unknown parts of the african continent, from tribes they themselves have little knowledge on.
That's why the prominent African-American nationalist organisation known as the "nation of Islam" claimed heritage from a fictional "Shabazz" tribe to account for their lineage. At least you can account for your heritage, by stating that your grandparents were Italian.

Those people can't. And once again, Obama's mother was of european-american heritage, so that makes him as much as a white-american person, as a black-american person.
However, the fact he's hailed as the first black president shows the extent to which the false notion that one's skin colour determines one's heritage is prevailant in America.

Quote: He don't look white to me.
But that shouldnt matter as long as he does his job well.
But he is partly white. 50-50, you see.
And he did not even grow up within the rest of the afro-american community, like you know, a stereotypical ghetto.

(January 29, 2012 at 9:49 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: While his mother is white?
Doesn't this just make him just another white president in a long line of white presidents? I don't know about the Luo people, whom constitute his paternal descendance, but is it the case for his maternal descendence, where your ethnicity is determined by your father, or your mother?

Well, technically, for the longest time in America, if a person had any black ancestry, even if they looked white, they were considered black.

Case in point:
[Image: homerplessy.jpg]
This is Homer Plessy. In 1892, he was kicked off a whites-only train car because it turned out he had one-eighth black ancestry.

For what it's worth, over 58% of Black americans have as much (or more) white ancestry as Homer Plessy had black ancestry. And I have no doubt that, if we were to find the percentage of Black people who had any white ancestry, the number would be higher, for obvious reasons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e33aW5PYegQ
Indeed, black intellectual Henry Louis Gates has more than 50% black ancestry, so, technically, he should be even less Black than Obama. So, in the end, ultimately, all this goes to show how malleable our concept of race really is.

And besides, everyone knows that Bill Clinton was the first Black President!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 860 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1199 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Kuchma, the president of Ukraine Interaktive 5 858 June 10, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25321 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1596 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  has Biden done a good job as president? Drich 400 22993 May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  President Biden Foxaèr 74 4678 December 6, 2020 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Justice Obama? BrianSoddingBoru4 33 1440 August 26, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michelle Obama Crushes It BrianSoddingBoru4 32 1472 August 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Kanye West 2020 President Raino921 40 1886 August 5, 2020 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Dundee