Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Point Energy: ?
Zero Point Energy: ?
[Image: zero_point_energy.jpg]

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efCelx7qe...re=related
(Updated Link)

Is this possible?
RE: Zero Point Energy: ?
[youtube]Zq3zQYcMvkc[/youtube]

No.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(May 8, 2009 at 9:36 am)g-mark Wrote: Is this possible?

I don't see how zero point energy is relevant.

To answer your question, no.

There is a finite amount of energy stored within a magnetic field (proportional to the square of the filed strength / the material permeability)
It's definitely not enough to give the 24kW constant for several years, as claimed.
As far as I can tell, it's just another peretual motion machine

Also notice how this was posted on youtube over a year ago. If it was genuine, don't you think maybe we'd have heard a little more from these guys? A working device of this nature would be pretty huge news...
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Have you seen the theory of 'scalar energy'?

I undersatnd it is highly controversial.
(May 8, 2009 at 12:56 pm)g-mark Wrote: Have you seen the theory of 'scalar energy'?

I undersatnd it is highly controversial.

Assuming you're referring to the "theory" that electromagnetic waves have a longitudinal component (which is called by it's proponent the scalar field theory), yes I have.

It's controversial in the same sense that homeopathy is controversial i.e. there is no evidence.

It defines things that already have a meaning in physics, creating a lot of confusion.
e.g. scalar potential. In physics this is a scalar field whose (negative) derivative is eqaul to a given vector field.

Scalar field theory defines a scalar potential as the vacuum virtual particle flux (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)
It seems to me like obfuscation is one of the aims of doing this.

The theory suggest that the longitudinal component of EM waves have "scalar energy" in much the same way as the electric and magnetic transverse components have energy.
But a simple thought experiment shows this cannot be true:

Imagine a system of two electromagnets set up in such a way that an alternating current causes the field to vary sinusoidally. Then the magnets will alternately attract and repel.
This would cause (if there were a transverse component) what proponents call scalar bubbles and voids, which travel through space longitudinally, and which would be ripples on a constant energy background

These bubbles and voids (supposedly) cause magnets to attract and repel.
So place a set of permanent magnets close by and attach them to each other by a spring.
The ripples would cause the two magnets to oscillate.
but, this is NOT observed
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Isn't Zero Point Energy what they use in Stargate? ZPM = Zero Point Module if my sci-fi knowledge is up to scratch.
(May 8, 2009 at 3:26 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Isn't Zero Point Energy what they use in Stargate? ZPM = Zero Point Module if my sci-fi knowledge is up to scratch.

Maybe, zero point energy is a real thing, it's the energy particles have at T=0 (so it's non-thermal energy)

But these new age wazzocks have taken the term, and redefined it, probably to make their theories sound more credible, so people think they contain actual physics.

I never really liked Stargate, not sure why :/
In fact the only SF on tv I ever really liked is Star Trek (and futurama, not sure that counts though :p )

Although I love written SF
Quote:It seems to me like obfuscation is one of the aims of doing this.

I am serious as energy production is one of our main pollutants. Free energy would allow humans to advance much more quickly towards better solutions..

Yes, scalar field theory applies a scalar value to every point in space (a vacuum).

lilphil89 Wrote:These bubbles and voids (supposedly) cause magnets to attract and repel.
So place a set of permanent magnets close by and attach them to each other by a spring.

Can you site your experimental data please.
(May 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm)g-mark Wrote:
Quote:It seems to me like obfuscation is one of the aims of doing this.

I am serious

I never suggested you weren't serious, my point is that taking terms that already have a meaning in physics and using them to mean something else causes confusion.

(May 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm)g-mark Wrote: as energy production is one of our main pollutants. Free energy would allow humans to advance much more quickly towards better solutions..
A noble cause. Unfortunately, free energy is pseudoscience.

(May 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm)g-mark Wrote: Yes, scalar field theory applie a scalar value to every point in space (a vacuum).
Every point in space is a vacuum?
Atmospheric pressure seems to be preventing me from expanding pretty well at the moment...

(May 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm)g-mark Wrote:
lilphil89 Wrote:These bubbles and voids (supposedly) cause magnets to attract and repel.

Can you site your experimental data please.

While I'm at it, I'll quote data that shows eating bananas doesn't cause me to float, or that my testicles aren't superconductors.
You know that it doesn't happen as well as I do.
The burden of proof is on you, if you're suggesting that it would be observed, since you are making a claim that every almost every physicist in the world would disagree with.
lilphil Wrote:Scalar field theory defines a scalar potential as the vacuum virtual particle flux (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

You are wrong.

g Wrote:Yes, scalar field theory applies a scalar value to every point in space (a vacuum).

This is wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:Scalar field theory applies a scalar value to every point in space

This is correct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

lilphil Wrote:The burden of proof is on you, if you're suggesting that it would be observed, since you are making a claim that every almost every physicist in the world would disagree with.

wiki Wrote:No fundamental scalar fields have been observed in nature, though the Higgs boson may yet prove the first example. However, scalar fields certainly do appear in the effective field theory descriptions of many physical phenomena.

wiki Wrote:In physics, an effective field theory is an approximate theory (usually a quantum field theory) that includes appropriate degrees of freedom to describe physical phenomena occurring at a chosen length scale, while ignoring substructure and degrees of freedom at shorter distances (or, equivalently, at higher energies).

wiki Wrote:The Higgs boson (nicknamed the God particle) is a massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model in particle physics. At present there are no known fundamental scalar particles in nature.

And once the world was flat and my balls are made from brass. One day you may also eat your words.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Point Break Remake AFTT47 0 667 May 31, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  'Sam Harris makes a joke and a point' Edwardo Piet 0 1856 December 20, 2008 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet