Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resoning for belief in God
Resoning for belief in God
Tim Keller @ Google

Reasoning behind the belief in God: Why they're important, how they work, and what they are.

This isn't new, but I think it may be of interest to people here. I like Tim's views and would like to see your opinions on them.

[youtube]Kxup3OS5ZhQ[/youtube]
RE: Resoning for belief in God
I sat through the whole thing, and he made a good impression up until he utters the words "You need as much faith to disbelieve in God as it does to believe in God". And it only went downhill from there. There were a lot of presuppositions towards Christian faith but he admits in the end that he should have backup those up beforehand in order to build on them.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Yeah I find that one doesn't quite hold water. He's said it a few times, possibly the same speech reworked. There needs to be active disbelief in the first place for it to hold true.

It was almost as if he was talking to his own church at times I felt. You'd think with the amount of experience that he must have that this shouldn't happen; or maybe this was his first speech to a large secular audience.
I don't think i'll be watching a one hour video telling me why I should believe in God.

no thank you
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
That's exactly what it isn't WWLD. Have I ever tried to present anything of the sort?

This went down very well with the secular audience at Google here.
(May 10, 2009 at 3:51 pm)WWLD Wrote: I don't think i'll be watching a one hour video telling me why I should believe in God.

no thank you

To be fair, that isn't what this video is about.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(May 10, 2009 at 3:51 pm)WWLD Wrote: I don't think i'll be watching a one hour video telling me why I should believe in God.

no thank you
Just to add to what people have already said. In my opinion if we want to be honest skeptics then we need to be willing to let our beliefs/disbeliefs be challenged. If you don't want to watch something, that is fine, but don't say the reason why you don't want to watch it is because it challenges your beliefs. In my case, I think I watch about twice as much religious stuff on YouTube as atheist stuff. Sometimes I here the same old arguments, but occasionally I hear something new that makes me think.
(May 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

no thank you
Just to add to what people have already said. In my opinion if we want to be honest skeptics then we need to be willing to let our beliefs/disbeliefs be challenged. If you don't want to watch something, that is fine, but don't say the reason why you don't want to watch it is because it challenges your beliefs. In my case, I think I watch about twice as much religious stuff on YouTube as atheist stuff. Sometimes I here the same old arguments, but occasionally I hear something new that makes me think.

The reason I don't want to watch it is not because it will challenge my beliefs, it's just because its so long...almost as long as church this morning, which my parents make me go to.

I also watch religious videos on youtube, but I watch them when they are not an hour long, and when I get to choose the video.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
Blimey you go to church more than I do WWLD! (Well, that wouldn't be hard).

I'm glad Adrian made that point, but of course I respect your view. I'd encourage you to watch anything by Tim Keller if you can find something short enough! Tongue

He has some soundbites on Big Think here
Adrian, how can I spend time challenging my atheism in regards to its opposition to God when I've got the FSM, Zeus, Russell's Teapot, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, the IPU and much much much much much much MUCH more to deal with too? There's no time!

Maybe for a laugh once in a while.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief Foxaèr 10 2290 November 13, 2015 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist