Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Good" according to the old testatment.
"Good" according to the old testatment.
8He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6)

1) act justly
2) love mercy
3) be humble towards God

It seems to me, this is saying, this is all that is good. I guess the notion "act justly" can encompass being good in general, because being good is being just. But what if it extends beyond justice. What if you go out of your way to do extra good, and be charitable or volunteer, all that is beyond just being just, but is extra good.

I would say this would make sense deeming all that is necessary to be good. Not all that which is good.

Also something to notice is that this verse seems to be saying that humans can achieve this, as it's "required from their Lord". God would not require something that cannot be achieved.

Now in the new testament, there is a line, that no one is good but God. Now if we take that as literally true, it seems that there is a contradiction here.

Also I would add, is then the "requirement from the Lord" not achievable by non-Christians? It takes 1) acting justly 2) loving mercy 3) being humble towards God.

If this all that is required in the old testament, then obviously, believing in the old testament or bible is not a requirement. That is not required by God, since all that is required by God was those three things.

Looking forward to your feedback.
RE: "Good" according to the old testatment.
The morons think their 'god' created the whole fucking world and pronounced it "good" and then later decided it wasn't so good after all and decided to drown damn near everybody and everything.

And the fucktards are okay with that too!
(February 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 8He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6)

1) act justly
2) love mercy
3) be humble towards God

It seems to me, this is saying, this is all that is good. I guess the notion "act justly" can encompass being good in general, because being good is being just. But what if it extends beyond justice. What if you go out of your way to do extra good, and be charitable or volunteer, all that is beyond just being just, but is extra good.

I would say this would make sense deeming all that is necessary to be good. Not all that which is good.

Also something to notice is that this verse seems to be saying that humans can achieve this, as it's "required from their Lord". God would not require something that cannot be achieved.

Now in the new testament, there is a line, that no one is good but God. Now if we take that as literally true, it seems that there is a contradiction here.

Also I would add, is then the "requirement from the Lord" not achievable by non-Christians? It takes 1) acting justly 2) loving mercy 3) being humble towards God.

If this all that is required in the old testament, then obviously, believing in the old testament or bible is not a requirement. That is not required by God, since all that is required by God was those three things.

Looking forward to your feedback.

First, God did give man requirements they could not attain, "the law given to Moses," this law was not given to cause man to sin, it was given to show man how weak he was and how much man needed God.
Second, the three requirements you have given can cover many things, they are let's say categories and within these categories are many requirements.
Third, when scripture says, no one is good but God. It means that no one can be perfectly good as God is.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Your god is a petty and vindictive tyrant. "Perfect" has no place in his job title.

I'm fine without your bullshit, thank you very much.
(February 24, 2012 at 2:52 am)Minimalist Wrote: Your god is a petty and vindictive tyrant. "Perfect" has no place in his job title.

I'm fine without your bullshit, thank you very much.

God has no job description, God lives purely in love, asking us to join Him in eternity. Since you do not like what I post, why do you bother reading them, oh yea I forgot your the bad boy from the sandbox. This said let's not get into this Argue.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, According To This Guy, "God" Is A Fuckhead. Minimalist 6 1421 April 1, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3768 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Satan Is The God Of Jesus, according to the bible (video) JesusIsGod7 6 2584 November 18, 2014 at 11:07 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Jesus makes the Old Testament old hat? The Reality Salesman01 14 3342 April 30, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old Justtristo 402 218399 March 4, 2014 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  YECs not xtian according to James McGrath Godlesspanther 14 5184 January 4, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: MitchBenn
  A Gospel according to a Humanist lmbarre 7 3692 December 22, 2012 at 10:44 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  The truth according to Bart D. Ehrman Aractus 54 24846 December 2, 2012 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Aractus
  According to the Signs of the Tetrads Jesus Steps Down Aug. 7, 2022 Resistible 11 2923 October 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The future according to the bible Justtristo 7 2524 August 30, 2011 at 8:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger