Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future according to the bible
The future according to the bible
Lots of people have made fun of what the bible says about the origins of our universe. However as far as I know nobody has made fun of what the bible is predicting will happen in the future (apart from the rapture some Christians believe in).

If one were to literally take the contents of what is written in the bible concerning the future, they are quite ridiculous and nothing like in anyway what scientists are predicting.

According to the bible sometime in the future, there will be the second coming of Jesus, the resurrection of all humans who have died and then followed by "new heavens and new earth" which might have the whole universe being destroyed and the creation of a new one to replace it (see 2 Peter 3).
undefined
RE: The future according to the bible
Quote:However as far as I know nobody has made fun of what the bible is predicting will happen in the future (apart from the rapture some Christians believe in).

Perhaps talk to a few Catholics. As you may know,Catholics are not encouraged to actually read the bible lest they become confused. So naturally I did both at 16, and immediately began asking embarrassing questions.

As for prophecy:

(1) Jesus did NOT fulfill Jewish prophecy for the Messiah.

(2 Book of Revelations: We were taught it's best to leave that loopy raving to mystics and the fundies,who Catholics consider nutters and exhibitionists anyway. (I'll leave it to your imagination as to what Catholics think of Mormons).

I put biblical prophecy up there with Nostradamus,astrology, psychics and other charlatans. I have never seen any credible evidence for any kind of precognition, fortune telling or prophecy. (unless of course you include Christian prophecies made after the event. Such as trying to shoe horn Jesus into biblical prophecy)

PS The rapture, [ in connection with premillennialism] was invented in the seventeenth century by a couple of American Puritans, Increase and Cotton Mather.
DevilWhen all this self prophecy begins to happens. I got a few shelter places I can hide out in, until they all finish killing each other off.

The up side, the sky and water should turn to a truer blue when the dust finally settles. I don’t except to meet any flying creatures saving anyone, just a lot of sick people needing help.

Hope I can be of helpAngel

(August 30, 2011 at 2:07 am)padraic Wrote: Perhaps talk to a few Catholics. As you may know,Catholics are not encouraged to actually read the bible lest they become confused. So naturally I did both at 16, and immediately began asking embarrassing questions.

As for prophecy:

(1) Jesus did NOT fulfill Jewish prophecy for the Messiah.

(2 Book of Revelations: We were taught it's best to leave that loopy raving to mystics and the fundies,who Catholics consider nutters and exhibitionists anyway. (I'll leave it to your imagination as to what Catholics think of Mormons).

I have had a devout catholic friend of mine, who has read the bible balk at the book of revelation. While if I was a Christian it would be my favorite book, since the god is going to sock to them godless sinners.
undefined
Nah,THIS is how god prefers to smite these days:

[Image: index-2.jpg]
The book of revelations was written as a political parody for the politics of his day, and the writer was obviously an idiot, sexist, racist, slaver high on some fucked up drug.
(August 30, 2011 at 8:01 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: The book of revelations was written as a political parody for the politics of his day, and the writer was obviously an idiot, sexist, racist, slaver high on some fucked up drug.

I agree fully, Revelation is John on acid

Interestingly enough some Christians (called preterists) believe all or nearly all (expect the second coming of Jesus) the prophecies in the Book of Revelation were fulfilled by the end of the first century A.D. Although they don't believe in a literal 1000 year reign of Jesus on Earth before the last judgement or the seven year tribulation or the rapture.
undefined
High on a drug called JE-sus-Ah!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 505 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So, According To This Guy, "God" Is A Fuckhead. Minimalist 6 1436 April 1, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3847 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What's the future of Catholic Church and Satan? satan_buttercup 179 29126 August 27, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7451 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Future of Christianity in US watchamadoodle 148 15833 December 10, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Satan Is The God Of Jesus, according to the bible (video) JesusIsGod7 6 2596 November 18, 2014 at 11:07 am
Last Post: dyresand
  YECs not xtian according to James McGrath Godlesspanther 14 5240 January 4, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: MitchBenn
  In UK Islam is the Future and Christianity is the Past Muslim Scholar 82 24523 June 18, 2013 at 5:16 am
Last Post: Muslim Scholar