Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 9:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Entropy
Christian Entropy
Today I was speaking to someone that I didn't know at the time was a Christian, really more of a deist but identifies themselves as a Christian. They saw me reading Death From The Skies! so she struck up a conversation about cosmology. She seemed intelligent and our conversation ran from big bang theory, nucleosynthesis to evolution. To make a long story short she said she had an extremely hard time believing any of those because they all violate the second law of thermodynamics due to an increase of entropy seen as an ordering of the system. That was my second hint that she really didn't know much regarding science (first one was her thinking those three theories were wrong). I let her go on for three reasons, the first was I was at a diner and really had no pressing engagements (cause my social life sucks at the moment), I never heard an argument from her view before (from the second law yes but never based on entropy), and the final reason was a selfish one since I found her quite attractive. I let her go on without interrupting her diatribe although I was chomping at the bit.

Finally when she was finished I told her that the second law is only applicable to a closed system not an open one and further the second law is not written in concrete (quickly she objected and asked me, actually taunted me, for an example) and the definition she used of entropy as disorder is incorrect.

She agreed. much to my surprise, that the second law applies to closed and not open systems but her claim is that the universe as a whole is a closed system. She had an argument regarding my statement that the second law wasn't written in concrete and she insisted I provide her with an example. She also said while entropy as disorder isn't a "rigorous" definition it was still valid. I asked her if I could answer her two objections together. She said yes so I did and the visual I gave her left her speechless.

I told her entropy is defined phenomenologically (she didn't know the definition of that word - another non-suprise) as something that always increases or remains constant in a closed system. A more scientific definition from statistical mechanics is that entropy is the statistical behavior of the microscopic components of the system. There is no requirement in the definition that entropy can't decrease. Basically, the increase of entropy is because there are more ways for a system to be high entropy then low yet the low entropy state is not forbidden by the second law. It seemed like her head was starting to swim so being at a diner I showed her my little visual. My water glass was about half full so I poured some oil in it then mixed the whole glass till it was a really disgusting looking mixture. I asked the lady what was the entropy/disorder of that system and like a good little lady she answered it was high. I asked her what would happen if we let the glass sit. She looked like a ghost and said "looks like I was wrong."

Technically I could have been burned (sort of) with the visual I used sine a mixture of oil and water is a low entropy state but highly disordered and the state of them in separate layers is higher entropy but much less disorder.

Anyway, I just thought you guys should be aware that a new Christian/theist argument from entropy is running around.
RE: Christian Entropy
But did you get her phone number??
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(March 3, 2012 at 8:26 am)Zen Badger Wrote: But did you get her phone number??

Yes.
Clap Clap Way to go Phil!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Gratz on the digits. Bonus points if you scream "There is no god!" at moment of climax. (Preferably your own, and preferably before hers, and ideally you'll just pull out and leave at that moment)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
She can't talk when she's giving head. Concentrate on that.
that "Thermodynamics" arguement has become one of the most popular arguments for Jesus. Im not really sure how thermodynamics, even if it did work they way they incorrectly suggest, has ANYTHING to do with Jesus... but they sure see the correlation.

Its a holy grail of creationist arguments. Its short, its "destroys" evolution and "proves" Jesus and it sounds scientific. One would expect the mixture of Einstein in the equation to give it more argument from authority:

"I know you evolutionists are very smart people, but I just dont have enough faith to be an atheist. Einstein once said that evolution was not scientifically possible because it breaks the laws of thermodynamics."

Or some bullshit like that.

Quote:Finally when she was finished I told her that the second law is only applicable to a closed system not an open one and further the second law is not written in concrete (quickly she objected and asked me, actually taunted me, for an example) and the definition she used of entropy as disorder is incorrect.

Is Earth an open or closed system?
Heat enters (sunlight) and leaves (radiation). It's open.

The human body is an open system on many different factors, biological, sociological, and even mechanical.

So how can evolution not happen on earth and in humans when they are both open systems?

Ive considered entropy more as a fading. like a dissipation. Disorder isnt a good word to use for entropy.
As with most jesus freaks she lives up to the motto: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Besides, if she got snotty with you, you could have always used the best "leave me the fuck alone" line I can think of.

"Listen you agrivating bitch. The only time your mouth should be open is when you're switching dicks."
..either that or point at your crotch. "What are you waiting for? It isnt going to suck itself."
(March 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Ive considere entropy more as a fading. like a dissipation. Disorder isnt a good word to use for entropy.

Dissipation wouldn't be correct either since entropy really is a statistical concept that is essentially a measurement of the possible states (micro) that the entire system (macro) can be in. The only real reason entropy increases is that there are more (vastly more) high entropy states than low entropy states. There lies the answer to why I said the second law is not written in stone. Entropy can decrease, it is just highly unlikely, so unlikely that you can say never since it is pretty much a given not to happen until the sun is long gone. Another reason why dissipation is wrong is that since the origin of the universe, entropy has increased yet nothing has dissipated.

This post has led me to realize that the first law of thermodynamics is not set in concrete either, at least not on a cosmological scale.

(March 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Besides, if she got snotty with you, you could have always used the best "leave me the fuck alone" line I can think of.

"Listen you agrivating bitch. The only time your mouth should be open is when you're switching dicks."
..either that or point at your crotch. "What are you waiting for? It isnt going to suck itself."

For some reason, those lines remind me of something from a KilledWhitneyDead song.
(March 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Besides, if she got snotty with you, you could have always used the best "leave me the fuck alone" line I can think of.

For some reason, those lines remind me of something from a KilledWhitneyDead song.
(March 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: As with most jesus freaks she lives up to the motto: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'm not to sure she is a Jesus freak since she never mentioned Jesus or the bible although she called herself a Christian. I think that may have been more of her claiming that as a concession because this is the year of the bible in PA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89625 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7467 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6349 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej