Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sexist washing instructions
Sexist washing instructions
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/tw...-belt.html

[Image: trousers_2159225b.jpg]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: Sexist washing instructions
I love the first line of that article (written by a woman btw):

"This weekend, as I attempted to tidy to my house"
Nothing wrong with that. I help my wife tidy our house all the time. But I don't consider it "her" job to clean the house or do laundry.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I just found it mildly amusing that she's riled up about sexism and stereotypes, and opens up with what is often used as a sexist stereotype.
I'm a pretty decent cook but my wife won't let me near the washing machine.

She knows better.
(March 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I just found it mildly amusing that she's riled up about sexism and stereotypes, and opens up with what is often used as a sexist stereotype.

I find it exceptionally irksome that you trivialize the author be implying she is unhinged using the terms 'riled up' and belittle her opening as a stereotype.

Doubly so, given that her entire premise is about differentiating between humor and simple bigotry.

No wonder so many feminists go Feminazi -- being sidelined even in casual conversation on an ATHEIST site has got to be frustrating to the extreme. One cannot even start a story without having idiots postulate as to one strengthening stereotypes.

Funny enough, last I checked, couples tidy stuff for each other.

The fact that a woman needs to avoid even doing activities that can be remotely considered sexist (even if it is mundane and done by both genders) and be criticized by you makes me question your sensibilities more than hers.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
It was a joke Synackaon.
So was my post.

Jokes everywhere.
Not so sure it was. I found it amusing, you don't. No reason to make a fuss about it; I wasn't saying she needed to avoid doing the tidying up, I was just (mildly) amused by her wording.
(March 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Not so sure it was. I found it amusing, you don't.

I was under the impression that a joke that evinces no laughter is still a joke, albeit an unsuccessful one. Wink

(March 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm)Tiberius Wrote: No reason to make a fuss about it; I wasn't saying she needed to avoid doing the tidying up, I was just (mildly) amused by her wording.

Indeed. However, her detractors have a habit (and she even addressed that directly) of belittling her views as "over sensitive" and the like in order to better strengthen their "it's a joke" position.

Your statement took on a similar guise, along with your own choice of words (diction) that implied she is 'riled up' when she is really writing about the separation between good humor and not.

You wouldn't accuse Morgan Freeman of being 'riled up' for raising the issue of constraining black history to a single month, even if he began (hypothetically) his objection with "I was playing my saxophone one day and..." That statement would contain quite a few stereotypes. But I'm not certain I'd see:
"I just found it mildly amusing that he's riled up about racism and stereotypes, and opens up with what is often used as a racist stereotype."
while:
"I just found it mildly amusing that she's riled up about sexism and stereotypes, and opens up with what is often used as a sexist stereotype." appears a short distance above.

So expect me to notice inconsistencies in a similar context.

Furthermore, it can be argued that cleaning up a room, like playing a saxophone, is such a mundane and common activity that I can compare the actions in a similar framework (i.e. sentence).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warnings and instructions. arewethereyet 15 831 March 18, 2020 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Great... now movie posters are sexist? IanHulett 114 12612 September 25, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Requesting Resources and Instructions lpmalakye 19 2016 September 8, 2016 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Losty
  Why 'Women's Sports' is sexist ErGingerbreadMandude 83 8118 March 12, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" MJ the Skeptical 101 18210 April 14, 2014 at 3:25 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Should Facebook Ban Sexist Pages? thesummerqueen 15 2970 November 6, 2011 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  How sexist are you? Facejacker 54 12992 August 4, 2010 at 12:25 am
Last Post: KawaiiKoneko