Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Geography?
Human Geography?
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetype...Geography/

I got this offer today from my favorite university. I wanted to do psychology but they gave me this instead.

All my other university's turned me down. Except one I have no interest in going to.

Just wondering what people think of this course. Smile
RE: Human Geography?
How do you feel about the subject itself?

I can tell you from experience, that if you don't have a keen interest in the subject, you are going to struggle, and its not going to be fun.

There are 2 aspects to a course, a plan for where that course is to lead to, it must be the means to an ends, not a degree for the sake of it, combined with a strong interest in the subject matter.

If you cannot state an affirmative to both, I would advise caution before jumping in.

Is there any flexibility to change the focus of your degree during your first year based on your secondary subjects?

Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 13, 2012 at 9:21 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: How do you feel about the subject itself?
I'm not entirely sure yet. It seems interesting but I think some more research on it may help me feel better or worse about it.
(March 13, 2012 at 9:21 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: I can tell you from experience, that if you don't have a keen interest in the subject, you are going to struggle, and its not going to be fun.
That's what worries me. I dont want to end up dropping out with a load of debt.
(March 13, 2012 at 9:21 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: There are 2 aspects to a course, a plan for where that course is to lead to, it must be the means to an ends, not a degree for the sake of it, combined with a strong interest in the subject matter.

If you cannot state an affirmative to both, I would advise caution before jumping in.
Thanks for the sound advice mate. I'm going to go research it a lot before giving the a decision.

It has kind of thrown me out a bit I spent a long time researching what I wanted to do before I selected my options and didn't prepare for this event.
(March 13, 2012 at 9:21 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Is there any flexibility to change the focus of your degree during your first year based on your secondary subjects?
Yeah 2nd and 3rd year you can choose options as part of the course.
1) Do you have any interest in the subject? You say you wanted to do psychology; was this your second preference or did the university just decide to cram you in an empty place? If it was the latter, and you have no interest, turn them down...there isn't any point doing a degree in something you have no interest in.

2) Do you see yourself having a career related to this degree? If not, turn them down. There is no point getting into masses of amounts of debt if you are going to be jobless after the degree is over.
(March 13, 2012 at 9:46 am)Tiberius Wrote: 1) Do you have any interest in the subject? You say you wanted to do psychology; was this your second preference or did the university just decide to cram you in an empty place? If it was the latter, and you have no interest, turn them down...there isn't any point doing a degree in something you have no interest in.

I didn't put it as a preference but it seems to be based on the other subjects I have taken up to now. I'm partly interested but I'm going to do some research before I give them an answer.

(March 13, 2012 at 9:46 am)Tiberius Wrote: 2) Do you see yourself having a career related to this degree? If not, turn them down. There is no point getting into masses of amounts of debt if you are going to be jobless after the degree is over.

The career options I have looked at seem very interesting. Possibly even better suited to me than psychology was.

Thanks for the advice Smile